Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I returned home and it was sitting on my table! Yay! Beautiful enclosure, VERY nice screen and impressive performance! :D :cool: :D

I've been waiting for it for 3 weeks and here it is! Ahh im so happy! :)

The only complain is HD space, without my stuff (photos, music, videos) it is already 1/2 full :eek: (yes its 160 gig HD)

At "Highest" CPU setting the fan noise is BARELY recognizable. Very quiet!!

Awesome :D

Oh its 2nd ren. 17 inch model :)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
You know, I am torn between a quad-core G5 and an iMac 20"! There's a world of difference between them, but it just shows how much appeal that new iMac has. I hope Front Row runs smoothly; comments I have seen recently indicate sluggish performance.

Congrats and enjoy!

jhero

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Not near an Apple Store
ksz said:
You know, I am torn between a quad-core G5 and an iMac 20"! There's a world of difference between them, but it just shows how much appeal that new iMac has. I hope Front Row runs smoothly; comments I have seen recently indicate sluggish performance.

Congrats and enjoy!

Dude, lol, with all that money for the quad, why not both?!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I got mine too...

Wasn't supposed to ship until 16 Nov!

However, I am fairly sure I have a faulty fan. There is a definite buzz coming from the left hand side. The pitch rises and drops very gradually and it is very annoying. It will be a shame if it has to go back but I can't have this buzz right next to my ear. The selling point for me was the "whisper quietness" which had been confirmed over here by so many.

Any suggestions?

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
eXan said:
The only complain is HD space, without my stuff (photos, music, videos) it is already 1/2 full :eek: (yes its 160 gig HD)

Are you serious. Half the HD is used out of the box? What could be taking up so much space?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
dansgil said:
Are you serious. Half the HD is used out of the box? What could be taking up so much space?

No way... my ibook's 40 GB drive (really 37) had maybe 28 or so free out of the box. What could be on the imac that's taking up ~50 more gigs?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
jhero said:
Clearly, you want an iMac more :p
The emotional (technogeek side) desires a quad-core G5, the practical logical side says iMac. What's a dual-hemispherical brain to do? :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
dansgil said:

No, lol, not out of the box. My dad installed a ton of heavy-weight software on it ;)

Motion, FCP5, DVD Studio Pro, LiveType just to name a few ;) :D :cool:

Also, Doom 3 :) It runs OK on MEDIUM, 800x500, Shadows ON, everything else OFF. How to make it show FPS? I forgot the command :eek: And how to run timedemo?

Cant wait to install my games on it (KOTOR, UT2004, Starcraft :D and so on)
But I have to wait a couple of days. Dont ask why :)

Pics later :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.