My imac got unplugged

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flybirddog, Feb 19, 2008.

1. flybirddog macrumors newbie

Imac (Aluminum) got unplugged while it was on. When I plugged it back in and then turn on, it took a really long time and then went to the Login screen. I entered the name and password, but it doesn't accept it. My mac isn't setup to go to login screen, It usually just boots right to desktop.

Any Ideas?

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Having it be unplugged like that will not change the admin user name.

In either case, start up from your the DVDs/CDs that were included with your Mac and there is a utility from the drop down menu, "Utilities" that you can change the password.

Hope this helps

3. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Sounds like an important file got corrupted when the power was pulled. You could try booting up from the restore disc (put the disc in, reboot and hold down the 'c' key) then run Disk Utility to repair permissions and check the drive. Also reset the admin/user passwords while you're at it.

If that fails, it really depends on how much time you want to spend faffing around. You may be able to get it back to normal by re-installing certain files, copying files from other macs, etc but this can be quite tedious.

What I would do - Again, using the the restore disc, you can perform an Archive & Install which should keep all your files and settings but re-install the main system files. That MIGHT do the trick.

4. flybirddog thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked but still a problem

well it worked and I can get to the new desk top. I got all my files off the previous system, however now my imac is really slow. It takes a long to run an application or do anything. Now what.