My iMac has gone crazy! Help! Kernel Panic?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nickyj182, Mar 12, 2012.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

I have an older iMac G5, and when I boot it all kinds of crazy text covers the screen, heres the final three lines:

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC
    panic: We are hanging here...

What in the world does this mean? Is there anyway I can fix this problem? I don't care if I had to reformat the entire thing! Thanks in advance!

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

I'd guess either the memory is bad or I know the power supplies in these older iMac G5's can have issues but I'm not sure if it would case kernel panics like this.

I'd wager on either bad memory or a bad hard drive.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Have you changed any hardware before this started? Changed or upgraded RAM? If so, remove the RAM you upgraded and see if rebooting fixes it.

If not...

Do you have your install software discs?

If so, insert the disc, restart, hold down C on the keyboard after the chime and don't release it until the Mac boots from the install disc.

Then open Utilities - Disc Utility

Select the hard drive your OS is installed on and click on Repair, then ask it to Verify Disc. That will look to see if the Hard Drive is having problems.

If it passes that, then click on Repair Permissions, and keep running that until all of the permission errors are corrected. Restart and see if that fixes the problem.

What OS are you on, 10.4 Tiger?

4. nickyj182 thread starter macrumors regular

nickyj182

I've never changed the RAM or anything hardware related. She has some same stuff in her that she came with out of the box. I try to boot off of the install discs it came with and it still arrives at the kernel panic txt screen. It's running 10.4

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

err if it was bad ram wouldnt the computer beep 3 times and have a black screen with the fans going crazy cause thats what mine did when it had bad ram.

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Do you have another Mac? I assume you're posting messages on another Mac. If they both have Firewire ports, connect the two in Firewire target mode and verify and repair the disk and verify and repair permissions on the bad Mac using Disk Utility on the good Mac.

How to run Firewire Target Mode