My iMac is a great Earthquake alerter

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pb1300, Jan 26, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I live in a part of Greece where there are a lot of earthquakes, and it frightens the crap out of me since I have never experienced one before I moved here in June of 08. The other night, I was sound asleep, as was my iMac, then a earthquake started, and my iMac woke up, and at the same time, woke me up too with the bright screen flickering on. It was a minor earthquake, but it gave me enough time to get out of bed and get to the front door, just in case.

Given the such superior thinking power of my iMac :)p), I have a question. Is there any way that the iMac can also play a sound when it wakes from sleep, so it can really be beneficial to me?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's quite brilliant! Wish my iMac would alert me to things instead of just randomly booting itself on.

3. aar2697 macrumors member

What happened was is the mouse shook making the cursor move turning the screen on.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

do you have a program that wakes up your imac with the earthquake? It might just have been a key rattling that made the computer think you were pressing the key and wanted it to wake up.

5. konnak macrumors newbie

Slightly offtopic, but I also happen to live in a seismic-active area. In fact, not far away from the topic starter, lol. Anyway, I am considering to buy an iMac for some time now, and while at first the thought of my iMac being threatened during an earthquake sounded a bit... hypochondriac, during the last seismic burst in the area I came to take the whole consideration more seriously: is an iMac likely to be damaged - as in fall - during an earthquake, due to its thin and shrinked pedestal?

6. Paul B macrumors 6502

7. thesmall macrumors member

how cum... thats not possible... kindly elaborate..

8. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

My old Performa 5200 :rolleyes: used to switch itself on when you turned on the vacuum cleaner in the same room, I never worked that one out. Thought it might have been something to do with the IR port?