My iMac is alive! (litterally)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by virtual, Dec 13, 2007.

1. virtual macrumors member

I got my new (fitst one suffered from pull-the-plug-out-turning-off-syndrome which actually killed itself) iMac yesterday. All seems great. I watched Leon on it yesterday and the picture was great.

Since it was its first night I turned the baby off, just to make sure that it doesn't do anything... dodgy.

So, I turn the iMac off at 11ish, leaving it plugged into the socket with the power switch still on. I woke up at 7:05 this morning and thought I could hear a quiet dim from the iMac. I wiggle the mouse and it springs to life. I look at iStatPro and it tells me it has been up for 7 hours and 5 minutes - midnight!

Is this even physically possible? Could it be the elgato TV stick (DTT) which perhaps has a little chip in it which still operates, sees it is 12:00 and gets a new schedule which actually powers up the iMac?

Would love to hear some of your suggestions or thoughts!
    Virtual.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

did you shut it down or turn it off by the switch on the back? and are you sure it turned off? there may have been a few processes keeping it from shutting down like a hang or safari was open with multiple tabs for example.

3. virtual thread starter macrumors member

Erm, Apple -> Turn off computer. The iMac went silent, so I assumed it turned off fine.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I've heard this a lot on these forums recently. Apparently there is some process that'll turn your Mac on at midnight.

5. mag2001 macrumors 6502

never happens to me. maybe cause I am on my imac at midnight:cool:

6. aly macrumors member

My MBP likes to wake itself up at midnight every night, I'm sure it is just some process running somewhere, Ive never really bothered to have a look. My MBP always sleeps, never shutdown, so I dunno if it would boot up. I will try tonight!
    :cool:

7. oligore macrumors member

oligore

Why does everyone uses literally as a word meaning almost exactly the true meaning. It isn't really alive as the word suggests, it's the opposite.:(

Anyway you can schedule it to turn on or off under energy saver in system preferences by pressing the "schedule" button and setting the times.

8. virtual thread starter macrumors member

I never turn off my Mac either, so it doesn't bother me too much.

I found this though, which I haven't tried. Will install it when I next shut it down for the night (dunno when that will be though): http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5826698#5826698

No pr0n for me that night :-(

Enjoy: http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=define:overstatement

Nothing is scheduled. It litterally turns on by itself ;-)

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you're going to bold a word, spell it right ;)

10. Stinkypalm macrumors member

EyeTV might be your culprit, check preferences - Guide tab - see if the "remote scheduling" wake computer if necessary is checked. This will turn on the Imac to check if you remotely requested a program to record.

11. tishaddams macrumors newbie

tishaddams

eep!

hey, newbie here. anyway, this is creepy. I never heard of this happening before, so I don't really have any suggestions, but I have something to share.

as it is, someone else I know has had their system running for over 48 hours straight, and at 2am one night, it actually asked him: "it's getting late, aren't you going to sleep?"

okay, maybe that wasn't the exact message, but it was something along those lines. :eek:

12. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

What? My MBP stays on and I have never seen a message like that.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

*Speaking from a Tiger point of view*

Go to Energy Saver in Sys Prefs and then options and make sure "Wake for ethernet network administrative access" is unchecked

Also while in Energy saver, click on schedule and ensure your iMac isn't timed to wake up at some point

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

weird my rent's imac seems to wake up from display sleep and seems to wake up around midnight...

15. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Sys Prefs Energy Saver

Check the schedule tab... is it set to wake the iMac at midnight?

16. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

there was another thread about this so maybe its not just your imac and mine turned on last night it woke me up (its in my room)so yeah its not just yours and i have the alu iMac

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Also if you're using a bluetooth device go to Sys Prefs>Bluetooth>Settings. Ensure "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer is unchecked as well.