Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
As advised by others, uninstall Norton using the Norton install discs, then let us know how your Mac is running. Not only do you not need Norton on your Mac, it could easily be causing slowdowns. If that doesn't help, run Disk Utility booting off the OSX install discs. Has anything been repaired? Do not attempt any kind of OSX reinstall until you've tried at least these two simple steps first.

i will consider. basically i want to buy an external hard rive and then just restore my computer. im sure it isnt necessary but you need to restore you computer once and a while anyway right?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
i will consider. basically i want to buy an external hard rive and then just restore my computer. im sure it isnt necessary but you need to restore you computer once and a while anyway right?

No, it's rarely necessary -- though many do it just because it makes them feel better for some reason. I never understood the logic. One of the potential downsides is that if your problem is hardware-related, the reinstall could fail, which is progress in reverse. Backing up is always a good idea though.

Try the other things before taking any drastic measures.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
if i get rid of norton what can i use to catch simple bugs when im downloaded stuff.

If you HAVE TO use some sort of antivirus software, then go for ClamXav. It's free and works great. Even Apple has it (the ClamAV engine) built into Mac OS X Server to catch all types viruses that may be spread through email.

As many have said, you don't need any antivirus software. But if you want to keep from spreading files that may be infected, use ClamxAV.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
First, remove Norton from your system.

How much free hard drive space do you have?

Do what he says, remove Norton. I work for a ISP and the problem is Norton is sometimes too good, and it won't let you do anything. There are many people on this site who had no virus protection for years and never have any problems.
EDIT: I hope you didn't pay for Norton.

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
alright lol
so can someone like right down the steps i need to do starting with:
1.Remove Norton!
2.Fix permissions

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
If you HAVE TO use some sort of antivirus software, then go for ClamXav. It's free and works great. Even Apple has it (the ClamAV engine) built into Mac OS X Server to catch all types viruses that may be spread through email.

As many have said, you don't need any antivirus software. But if you want to keep from spreading files that may be infected, use ClamxAV.

does clamxav give you like automatic protection

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
does clamxav give you like automatic protection

It depends. What you can do is set up a folder that it will automatically check whenever there is a change within it. You really don't need AV software running 24/7 on OS X, at-least not yet. I guess that's the beauty of ClamX. It doesn't waste computing power until you need it.

Here's some documentation to ClamXav's "Folder Sentry Preferences". So I guess you can set it up to where the folder you want checked is the entire Macintosh HD, but that's overkill. Just have it run anytime something new goes into Limewire's folder and/or the Downloads folder.

By the way, are you new to Macintoshes?

abramson1111

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Open activity monitor and see how much of your RAM is being used. If you are near an apple store, take it in to see a Genius, they might be able to help you!:cool:

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
so i just uninstalled norton. i kinda feel unsafe lol.
where do i go from here to start cleaning up my comp and fix my problem

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
DO NOT worry about feeling unsafe. There is nothing that can hurt your mac.

i downloaded clamxav for a backup just incase anything breaks down haha. is there any other tips other then fixing permissions and uninstalling norton

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ also repair your hard disk from Disk Utility on the Install Disc and use Onyx's Automation feature. also make sure youve got about 20% space free on your hard disk.

thats about it, you dont need to do much maintenance in OS X!

ptheo27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Canada
so just to give you guys an update.
i uninstalled norton and downloaded clamxav.
i have noticed that my computer has been acting good lately, and i haven't been getting that frequent lag i use to get. also i went though my downloads folder and cleared that up and also my applications and use appzapper to clean some old apps up. overall im pretty impressed and thankful for the great tips. yet my computer was faster a few months back and i wish it was still like that but im still happy with what i have now. if there is any more suggestions please comment

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You might also check your startup items in your Accounts preference pane. Some applications install things that run whenever you log into your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.