My iMac is ridiculously slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mellop, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mellop macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! So I've been having this problem with my iMac for a couple of months now. I'm writing this with my iPhone because if I were to do this on my iMac it would take forever...
    I installed Windows 7 on my iMac about a year and a half ago using Bootcamp so that I could play MMORPGs, but I did download WoW on my iMac around the time it started being slow. I don't think WoW could be the ONLY reason why it's being so slow, I stopped playing WoW on my iMac like a few weeks ago but the slowness is getting worse. The PC side of my computer is fine though, so I feel like my Mac side has a virus; is that possible?...

For specifics:
    - It takes at least 5 minutes for my Mac to start up
    - I torrented a lot of movies/shows up until the slowness started
    - I also streamed movies/shows
    - I get the pinwheel of death A LOT
    - When I try to click my user, it freezes for a while before I can enter my password
    - It takes a long time for the search to index

Computer Info:
    - Version 10.5.8
    - RAM 2GB (yeah I know horrible)
    - Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

To those who help me thank you so much, I really want to fix this problem before I leave for college because my mom will use this computer, and I don't want her to have a hard time.
    If you need more information on my computer just ask, thanks again!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Check it out.... my advice would be to make a backup of your torrented TV shows and all of your media. I would do either a fresh install of Leopard or better yet upgrade to Snow Leopard. While you're at it, upgrade your RAM to the max (4GB I believe). That should help improve things. If nothing else do a verify and repair permissions check (in the Disk Utility app)

3. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

HD dying a slow death maybe? Repair permissions? Upgrade to Snow Leopard?

4. Mellop thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow quick replies! Thank you everyone. I don't need all my media except for music so I'll back that up and install Snow Leopard, hopefully that'll fix the problem.