My iMac keeps shutting down!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Carbonic, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Carbonic macrumors regular

Hey all, I noticed my iMac wasnt turning on this morning so I unplugged it and tried a different outlet and it powered on.

I left it unplugged at the same outlet and when I returned home I put it back in its original spot and its original outlet, it turned on just fine, but when i went to take a nap and awoke just now it wasnt turning on..

does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Start with the basics - check the state of the power cord. Can you either a) test it on another computer (or I use an electric jug) or b) try a different power cord to your iMac? If that solution doesn't work, we'll have to go to Plan B.

3. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

I only have one power chord.

my iMac works for about 20-30 minutes then shuts off completely, and I wont be able to use it for another few hours... (it's been over 24 hours since I was able to re turn it on..)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. Carl Abudephane, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. Carbonic thread starter macrumors regular

What?? I didn't assume anything.

But as for the mac, it is an intel mac, not the one with the metallic back, I think it was one of the ones before those came out... If their is a way I can get accurate model information, lemme know how I can find out so I can post it.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That was directed to Carl Abudephane.

Then it's not unless you bought AppleCare. You can check the warranty status here. I think taking it in to the shop is the best course of action whether it's under warranty or not, though.

9. Carl Abudephane, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012