My iMac screen goes blank

Discussion in 'iMac' started by virtuosity, Nov 4, 2012.

1. virtuosity macrumors member

Hi

My trusty 2008 iMac 27" has been superb, but after a while (dependent upon how graphically intense my usage is) the screen just goes blank / black. It still seems to be working (e.g. if I'm going through a playlist in iTunes at the time, that carries on playing, i can pause songs, restart them etc) so it just seems to be the screen / video - maybe the video card has gone

Before I take to apple store, just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, and can throw any light on what it might be / might cost!!? Or know if there's a DIY option as I fear the cost of sorting by Apple might be more expensive than the item is worth!

2. Ccwk macrumors newbie

Have the same problem with my iMac 2009. It appears to be the logic board or graphics card. Press ctrl+esc+eject then any key and it should bring your screen on again, at least until it happens again. Sometimes I can go several hours before blacking out, other times it happens every few seconds to where it is unusable.

I hooked up a Mac mini in target mode and don't have any issues so it isn't the monitor part of the iMac. Since my AppleCare expired I am just waiting for new Imac to come out to replace it.