My iMac won't shut down after 10.5.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pavloskgr, Jun 13, 2008.

1. pavloskgr macrumors member

I have a G5 iMac and since i updated to 10.5.3 my computer won't shut down neither restart! When i click shut down the dock disappears (as it is supposed to) and then the spinning thing comes at the desktop (not the rainbow spinning wheel) and nothing happens, it doesn't down! I have to push the button at the back for 5 seconds for my mac to turn off!
    I also have an intel Core2duo macbook and there is no problem at all there! Does anybody have any idea, how may i fix this(if i can)?
    Thanx a lot...

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There might be an app that is refusing to quit. I've had this happen a couple of times.

Try opening up a Terminal window and typing in:

Code:
    sudo shutdown now
    You'll be asked for your password to execute the command.

For a reboot, try:

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Hopefully this will give your Mac the kick in the pants it needs, and you can shut down the regular way next time.

If this fails, your last ditch maneuver would be to hold down the power button for several seconds until the computer powers off. This is a really rough way to shut the system down, but it's the only way if nothing else works. Make sure you've quit all apps and saved all files you're working on before doing this.

3. pavloskgr thread starter macrumors member

Nope it didn't work! I bet it is a software problem! I think i have to wait till the next software update 10.5.4 for my problem to be fixed! Thanks anyway!

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Your Mac could be up and running for a good month before 10.5.4 comes out. Besides, I don't think it's a bug that 10.5.4 will fix. If it were a systematic problem, a LOT of us on 10.5.3 would be unable to shutdown.

I would try and archive and re-install.

5. JavierP macrumors regular