My iMac Worries, Advice needed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by big.birdd, Nov 23, 2007.

1. big.birdd macrumors member

big.birdd

Hey guys,

10 days ago I bought a 20 in, 2.4Ghz, 2gig preinstalled ram, 500HDD iMac.
    Since my 14 day gap is closing fast, I need your advice on whether or not my unit should be returned for a new one. Here are the issues I've had so far.

Overheating - From regular usage, my imac stays at (CELCIUS) GPU avg50, HD avg50.
    However, when I encode, my gpu goes up to 60, with the gpu diode up to 76, and my hard drive up to 58. I have only used this machine for encoding twice, because of this overheating, when i do encode the top of the imac become too hot to touch. Ever since i first used this imac for encoding, the hard drive has now been clicking rapidly whenever i use it. Attached is an mp3 file of it clicking, I would appreciate it if someone had a listen to see what they think.

Shutdowns: About 1/3 times i shutdown or restart my machine, i just get a spinning clock like thing (not beachball), against my desktop image, and it doesnt shutdown. I always end up force resetting.

Speed: My xbench is 140, which i think is okay, but whenever im on a fresh boot, firefox takes 4 bounces to open

Fans: they never go above 1250 even when imac is burning

Resetting in the night? Whenever I come down in the morning my imac has reset, none of my other machines have done that... why?

So, If I could have some opinions on this that'd be great, and one final question:
    If i do go for a replacement machine? can i make a copy of my disk image then do an erase and load my disk image onto the new machine and start where i left off?
    THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Call Apple

If your window is closing fast, or not: call Apple care now. Do not wait. Talk to them before it is too late.

3. big.birdd thread starter macrumors member

big.birdd

hmm yes wil call tomorow, would love some more opinions on these issues, especially the clicking HD

4. nickf macrumors member

I'm not sure about the clicking, but I wouldn't worry about the temperature or the fan speeds. These sound fine.

As for the shutdown problem - have you repaired permissions on your disk recently?

And I'm not sure I understand what you mean about your mac 'resetting' at night? Check your Energy Saver preference pane to see if it's scheduled to start up unexpectedly.