My iMac's got the flu :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Qoxiivi, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Ok, I think my Mac’s ill. It keeps on going to sleep when I’m working on it. It’s not ‘hot-corners’ and a slip of the mouse or anything like that and it’s not when I’ve left it untouched for a while – as would be usual depending on the system preference settings. It’s just going to sleep for seemingly no reason.

It's the G5 iMac in my sig. Does anyone know what might be going on?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL.. cute way of putting it :)

But, have you tried switching sleep off completely in the energy saver control panel, to see if it will stay awake then?

3. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I haven't tried that no. I'll give it a go.

Just curious, would a Mac suddenly go to sleep if it felt it was overheating? I know my TV used to do that. It makes sense, but I can't understand why it's happening now. Actually, if that is the reason - might I damage my Mac by turning off the sleep function if it's using it for legitimate reasons?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If your Mac starts to even contemplate thinking about a slight tempertaure rise (i.e. a fever.. :p) the fans would kick in.

Seriously, you would hear the fans blowing quite loudly before your Mac will get too hot, so you shouldn't be able to overheat your Mac just like that.

5. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Slight cough or heavy breathing might be noticeable :D

7. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

I can't bring myself to turn the sleep function off. A warning comes up saying "Never letting your computer sleep may shorten its life."

The guilt's too much. I can't hack it. I'm going to bed now and so's my computer ;) If the problem gets too annoying (it's only happened four or so times in total before - just twice today for some reason) I'll re-think the problem.

Cheers for the advice :)