My impression of Late 08 MBP and advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by astudentis, Oct 25, 2008.

1. astudentis macrumors regular

Okay so i posted a little blub yesterday.

I had recieved my MBp (entry level base config) in the evening, and was up late playing with it... its an amazing computer

build quality is second to none

speaker loudness and quality if very good (dont even need external ones)

Keyboard if fun to type on (i am used to using this keyboard because i have had the blackbook for the past year) + back lit = even better

Track pad is cool, i love it! (the four finger gesture for expose and desktop revelation is very very useful when working with many windows without and external mouse)... the usefulness of the trackpad is much better

Display simply beautiful, brightness of the LED is amazing
    However this morning (there is a window behind my desk), the display was horrid! there was simply too much reflection to concentrate whats on the screen (worse than the glossy-ness of my blackbook)

I need a computer for functionality, elegance, and practicality... and that glossy screen doesnt seem to help at all... now i am thinking i might return this....

And i am now seriously considering the older MBP (the upper level one... 2.5GHz 6MB L2 cache, 2MB 800MHz ram, 512mb nVidia 8600GT) which will cost me 300$ less than the new one i have right now....

I cant decide... what to do... I was to have the newer product and better quality.... but i dont like glossy...

I know the processor on the old one is better, more vram (but 8600GT... PROBLEMS? issue)...matte screen (a PLUS!).. and the latch on the older one isnt that great (i dont like the gap that is in between the screen and the computer when it is closed and am worried after a few years... that gap will become more and warp upwards(happened to a friend's laptop))..and trackpad becomes somewhat yellowed...

I plan to use the cumputer for 4+years and i want it to be durable... what to do... please advise

2. skd macrumors 6502

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would go for the older MacBook Pro, you're right in thinking that the matte display will be better for you. Reflections is one of the main reasons why I don't like glossy screens. And personally I've never had any problems with the latch on my MacBook Pros (I've had the first gen, third gen, and fourth gen and an iBook before that) so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

As for problems with the 8600GT, I don't know what you mean, I've never had any problems with it at all on either of the MacBook Pros that I've had that used it. And finally as for the trackpad, I've used it heavily and it shows no signs of yellowing at all. And with the prices of the refurbished MacBook Pros, go for it :)

4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, I agree. Maybe try it a bit longer as well. See if you adjust a bit to it. I did

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Two days ago I would say get a $1349 refurb 2.4 MBP. After hearing how perfect everything on your late08 MBP is I'd say keep it. If I could get one with a perfect build I would eat the glossy glass.

6. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

i Should not be forced to adjust to a laptop that costs so much!!!

for practicality reasons, I also need this laptop for med school (hopefully!)... and i have no idea how lighting conditions will vary where ever i move to...

Also didnt nvidia have a big speal how about their graphics chips had some wrong materials used ...bla bla bla.... and how it caused malfunctions in many of their 8600gt notebook cards

7. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Correct, you should not be forced into anything. Apple did not force you to purchase this, it was your choice, and the only option from Apple is glossy.

This is a better machine in many regards from the previous version, but only you can decide what works best for you and what you will use your notebook for.

My suggestion would be to use it for awhile longer to see if you can live with it, and get an anti-glare film for the glass. For the extra $20-$30 spent on this accessory, you can have the best of both worlds (new MBP and anti-glare)

This company http://www.powersupportusa.com/ sells the anti-glare film through Apple stores for the iPhones and for the older MB's and MBP's. I would think they will offer newly designed products for these newer models from Apple in the very near future.

8. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone tried any soft of antiglare yet?? i am sure other poeple are out there with the same problem as I.

PS. I love OS X and i need a bigger screen for my portable computer (I already have the MB) and I had been holding of to the the MBP. Now that I have it, the screen is the ONLY issue i have...

9. skd macrumors 6502

10. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

I have one issue with the new one and its the screen only (which is pretty big deal to me)!

I have a few issues with older MBPs (primarily cosmetic and GPU<- also a big deal, i dont want to get a faulty product and then have the new computer's logic board replaces several time... i cant live without a laptop for a week or two), but the $ I save in buying those(even though it has a better processor!)... i could put towards a future notebook in 4-5years

11. skd macrumors 6502

not being a student..........
    I'm an Architect that buys 10-12 computers for my company every two years -
    being in your position where money is such an ISSUE - I would buy a HP laptop for $600 every two years.....more bang bang for the buck

12. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

13. skd macrumors 6502

ok.......
    if you want an apple computer that will last you 4 yrs.
    I would buy the latest apple computer that you can afford.

you're not buying a computer to make money - you need a computer to help you with your studies........

14. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

money is not that much of an issue...

I cant decide.... between the newer entry level GlassBook Pro (because of the reflective screen) or the older top level matte 15in MBP 2.5-6MB cache (because defective 512mb 8600GT)

15. skd macrumors 6502

why do think apple has discontinued the matte screen?

IMO, the people working for apple are a lot smarter than me.....

16. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

Apple wants to give a "bling" factor to their products... and want the colour to be more saturated with the glass...obviously

FOR ME! it puts strains on my eyes, and it has been recommended not to get reflective screens (i recall reading office ergonomics somewhere)

17. unitethenations macrumors member

You have two choices:
    1. Return the gbp and get the 17" or any other mac with a matte finish, eating the restocking fee (~$200, plus new machine + shipping costs)
    2. Get an anti-glare cover for the screen (~$10)

Seems that the solution here is simple.

18. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

i talked to apple before i had bought the GBP ... they said i had 14 days to see if i like the product... and there is no restocking fee!?

19. skd macrumors 6502

i hope you never become my doctor..............

20. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Take it back and be sure to let Apple know the reason for you returning it. The more people voice their dislike of the ridiculous glossy only situation, the sooner Apple will realize it's costing them sales and customer satisfaction.

21. astudentis thread starter macrumors regular

why would you say that? :confused: That is rude of you to say. I am asking opinions for my computer, not health issues. I like to get things done properly.

On that note, if you feel that way, I hope you do not design something that I will use in the future, considering you are an Architect.......I persume bad one at that!!:mad:

22. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I think it's important to have a screen that you are comfortable with since you're going to be staring at it every time you use your computer.

Sure, the new MBP is nice, but if it's screen makes it difficult for you to work and enjoy the computer, then there's no point is there?

Go for the older 2.5 MBP. You won't notice any difference in computing performance. It's still a very good notebook, in terms of specs and looks. Don't forget, Jobs and Ive called it the best in its class only minutes before unveiling the new MBP.

I'm pretty confident it'll last you a good 3 years or more.

hope this helps:)

23. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

You do have 14 days to see if you like the product and return it, but there will be a restocking fee. Unless you bought it from an authorized dealer with a different policy.

24. maplestar macrumors member

Really?

Does the matte/glossy really matter that much? In my opinion, and I've used both matte and glossy in outside lighting conditions, matte is as unusable as glossy in bright areas.

Like under the sun, while the glossy definitely reflects A LOT (renders it unusable) you can actually see the mouse if you paid attention. With Matte, there is no definite reflection, but the whole thing just glows in bright light and I can't even see the mouse.

In a semi bright condition, both matte and glossy are usable, and matte has just as much reflection as glossy does, except the reflections are dull and blurred while in glossy they're clearer. I mean, once you get used to it, the glossy really doesn't affect you.

But hey, maybe it's just me. If glossiness is seriously an issue, then might as well switch to the older mbpro. But in my mind, glossy and matte have absolutely no difference except for
    Glossy has clear reflections: that you learn to ignore
    Matte has dull reflections: that you learn to ignore
    But Matte is completely unusable in quite bright sunlight while you can actually work with glossy in sunlight as long as you're used to the reflections.

25. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Odds are they will bundle a laptop with your tuition or really ask you not to use apple laptops.

Been my experience so far. If they require one, they make you buy it. If they just want you to have some minimum specs, its windows.

If you are in your beginning years of undergrad, just buy whatever. New or old, but it sounds like new is the way to go for warranty and likelihood to replace instead of repair.

But if you are close to getting into medical school, look at the laptop requirements.