My improvements to apple products..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecritix, Mar 27, 2008.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of apple products, but here are my suggestions for future developments, and I don't mean graphics cards or price drops...

AEBS/Time Capsule
    If the macbook air is going opticalfree.. and rumblings of the mini doing the same thing, why not incorporate a Superdrive into the timecapsule.
    At the centre of the home we then have a superdrive that can be accessed remotely elimintaing the need for clumsy usb externals.

TVExpress,
    I'm not sure of how possible this is, but I watch tv all the time on my mac (am student and can't fit tv into room really) Its great, Id love it even more if I could plug in a Airport express sized box to which I can plug in my TV aerial and have it then beam over wifi to the laptop.

Macbook,
    Give us the multitouch, don't punish us for not going pro, lots of us want a very portable machine with built in optical drive not to mention the added power. Macbook is a premium laptop when compared in the whole market.

What do you guys think?

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

TC: That's an ok idea but I just don't see the point. Apple is obviously trying to move away from optical drives in general (because they see them as no longer neccesary for some people) and a USB peripheral is their compromise. Besides, adding a Superdrive would add $100 to the cost of TC and that would just make it too expensive, why not just get a Mac Mini if the terabyte TC is $600?

TV: I really like that idea. A dedicated box for streaming TV would be able to do so smoothly. And if it had built in hardware decoding it would turn Apple laptops into virtual wireless TVs.

3. macintel4me macrumors 6502

Sounds like you could use a Mac Mini with an EyeTV and you would be set.

Clearly, adding Multi-touch support to the MacBook is a matter of when and not if.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I disagree with Kuebby that Apple is trying to move away from optical drives. I agree with Kuebby on that adding an optical to the AE/TC is not a good idea. So impractical to have to get up and go to another room to put a disc in your router/hub/NAS. Makes no sense.

I think the idea of distributing media on Flash drives is a good idea, much more durable than Optical discs and capacities are very high, though bulk price would definitely be an issue. Then we'd just need to have a bundle of USB ports available. Not sure if this would be a good alternative to Blu-Ray though.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Maybe not fully moving away yet but I can see that in maybe 5 years only the Mac Pro having an optical drive. Maybe the MacBook Pro if Blu-ray really catches on.

It's just that other kinds of storage and delivery are becoming so much more economical. Already people don't usually back-up anymore on discs, they use hard drives. As for DVDs and CDs, what with high-speed internet I can see digital delivery overtaking physical media. And software could easily come either digitally or on a flash drive. Imagine getting the next version of Final Cut Studio on a single flash drive instead of the large and heavy box it comes in now (yes, most of that is documentation but that could be digitized as well).

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear ya, I think the Optical discs will hang around a bit longer due to their price per unit. I mean you can get a stack of DVD-R's for nothing. But imagine the future laptop battery life with no opticals? Some revolution in transferable media needs to occur which I think could easily be handled by SSD drives, which would be both HDD and Optical drive successor.

7. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

8. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

not quite as the point is that i want to be able to sit in the garden when at home, or sit on the bed and watch it without all the wires..

9. MascisMan macrumors member

I would really like to see a cable/DSL modem incorporated into the Time Capsule.

So you would have the modem/wifi router/backup hard drive in one unit.

How cool would it be to run the cable from the wall straight into the TC and thats it?

Or if thats too difficult how about an Apple Cable Modem that is stackable with the TC?

10. EB66 macrumors 6502

macbook: make it aluminum first and then if possible add multi-touch

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeasssssseee