My Incredibly Turbulent MBA Story

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by skelaw, Jun 18, 2013.

1. skelaw macrumors member

I originally bought a mid-2011 MBA in September of 2011 for college. This was the 13" max'd out/ "I know where you student loans went" edition. Worked wonderfully in classes and in April, the screen goes black with the wonderful 3 beep sound of a RAM failure.

It stopped and returned to normal so I dealt with it for the next several months....until the battery died out in June of 2012. No problem, I had Applecare. I went on without problems (other than mediocre battery levels) until October where my mouse would not work. It was extremely jumpy and bounced EVERYWHERE. The Genius bar took it in an replaced it, and I went on my merry way...and then the 3 beeps came back. This time it was much more serious, and I ended up calling AppleCare support line several times without much help other than try reinstalling the operating system with the same problem coming up. This is when I began to insist on a new computer, but was always "politely turned the other way"

This led to 1 week ago when I sent the computer out to Texas to have the logic board replaced. I received it several days ago and, it ran beautifully, and then yesterday it started to automatically turn off which warranted another call to AppleCare. Apparently the new logic board was faulty....amongst other things. After spending roughly 9 hours with a supervisor over the course of two days, he told me to just go to an Apple Store to have them use my external HDD to make a backup before the SSD became completely useless.

3 hour drive later, I relayed the same problem to the Genius, provided a case number, and was strongly advised to have it repaired and not replaced. I insisted (major emphasis) and I was given a 2013 Max'd MBA. Apparently it was my responsibility to back up the old laptop before I brought it into them (lost files) and was told I would have to buy AppleCare again which I believe is another $250.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy to have received the new computer, it just took several visits to the Apple Store, and countless hours on a telephone just to be told to reinstall and restore.

Now my question is;

Should I try and make a case to have my AppleCare reinstated? I spent the extra $250 to prevent problems, and it seemed as if all of my repairs just prolonged the faulty computer. AppleCare is an amazing service, but spending roughly $500 is a bit too much. This is not to mention that I will have to replace the various programs that had one time keys.

If it makes any difference to obtain the new MBA I had to sign one form stating that I was allowing another logic board to be installed, and then another form stating that I was declining the repair.

Sorry for the long read and thanks for the answers

skelaw

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Call talk to a Customer Relations Rep and have them apply the old AC to the new MBA - they should do it. Only makes logical sense. Most Reps have that :)

3. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

I think it should also be mentioned that the old MBA was never used more than to play basic, basic games (no server play) and it would often get very hot. No heavy graphic editing or gaming was done either.

----------

Customer Relations Rep......same number as AppleCare?

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes - whoever you get first just tell them very very briefly your trouble and ask kindly but be firm you must speak to a Customer Relations Rep. They are the highly level you can speak with.

You can also email Tim Cook and someone should call or email you back. tcook@apple.com

I would recommend the Customer Relations Rep - they have been very helpful to me.

I once email Cook and got a response - mainly wanted to express a concern about my experience.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you reinstate your existing AppleCare, you're only going to get your original 3 years, which puts you into 2014. Which... is probably not much longer (if at all) than the standard 1 year warranty that is probably in effect right now on that 2013 MBA you just got in exchange for your broken one.

So I see it this way: you got a new MacBook Air, AND the opportunity to get another three years of service for $250. If I were you, I'd take that deal.

6. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

This x 100.

7. techn0lady macrumors regular

tldr : You never backed up your computer and were amazed when you lost all your files when you were given a $1300 replacement machine two models newer for the one that was broken. Also you want more free stuff in addition to the new 1 year warranty

8. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Reading comprehension must not be one of your strong suits. I will be more than happy to help you comprehend what I wrote before, just in case you still seem confused by the elementary concept of complete sentences and grammar.

Now, I have Airport Extreme with a 1TB external HDD attached that I do back up to. However, and I might have neglected to mention this, I was not able to back up the computer before it started going on the fritz. Hence the original reasoning for my Genius Bar appointment.

Now, I am not sure about your patience levels, but mine were wearing thin, especially since I used this computer as a supplement to my schooling, and my now job. That's why I bought AC; to prevent/fix problems when I had them. With the constant inconsistencies in performance and reliability I found myself having to use other resources. Am I saddened at losing very important work materials? Yes. Losing applications which I will now have to pay out of pocket? Yes. Am I shocked? No, things happen. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to be proactive and try and recoup a little lost money.

tl;dr Keep ignorant comments to yourself.

All other posters, thanks again. I'll be sure to check in with Customer Relations, and see what I can do about having a new plan pro-rated. Again, thanks for the helpful comments

9. bobbba macrumors regular

This x1000

10. scaredpoet, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeaaaah... attacking other users isn't going to earn you any brownie points or sympathy.

Well, the problem here is, you said so yourself that you waited several months before bringing in the faulty system, waiting for issues to compound before you dealt with them. Generally speaking, the sooner you bring in a computer with a problem, the sooner it'll likely get fixed.

You probably also would've saved yourself the headache of data loss. Getting the MBA into Apple when the issues were minor would probably have meant that you could've saved your data before the failures became catastrophic. A stitch in time saves nine, and all that.

Wait a minute. Those applications did not appear out of thin air. Where is the source media? If it's from the app store, you could've simply re-downloaded them at no cost. And most software vendors will give you the opportunity to re-download download-only apps if you have your registration code or proof of purchase.

Did you destroy ALL your original installation copies, and lost ALL your registration codes/proof of purchases? Well, who's fault is that? You could've just as easily had your laptop stolen or spilled coffee on it, and you'd be in the same boat, only you wouldn't have Apple as the scapegoat.

And you're saying you set up a time capsule and NEVER backed up your mac before it crashed? Not even once? The credibility here is starting to wear thin.

Highly unlikely. You really should quit while you're ahead.

While it's unfortunate that your MacBook Air had these problems, and even though it took some prodding, Apple did you more than a solid by giving you a brand new, current-spec replacement when their best obligation under the terms of the warranty would be to either give the logic board replacement another go, or fished a refurb or closeout of last year's model out of inventory, and given you that in replacement. Apple has some 2012s that they're offering to businesses and schools at a steep discount. They could've... no, should've.. given you one of those, taken less of a write-off, and you'd still have come out ultimately in better shape than you came in, even on your 2011 MBA's best day.

All told, you basically got use of your old Macbook Air for two years, plus $1849 worth of new kit... more than 7 times the value of the AppleCare plan you paid for. I don't think a pro-rate is in the cards, and I doubt there's a regulatory body in the universe who will agree with you that more is deserved here.

The eggs have hatched. It's time to count your chickens.