My indecision is final - editing on a powerbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sphereskin, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Sphereskin, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

Sphereskin macrumors newbie

Sphereskin

I'm upgrading my MacBook Pro as it's past it's shelf life, 15" duo 2.93 8gb 512 graphics, as I need to do some mobile final cut editing using 1920 avi files. Mostly straight cuts - few transitions and simple effects. 3 layer of video max and 2 soundtracks. Max length 20 minutes.

Some compressor in downtime for unused footage. Photoshop work a given, but even editing 200 mg scans has never been an issue.

Since whatever I buy I also have to get a AJA XT IO whatever I'm wondering if I could save some cash and get a 13" I5 16gb ram and 256 Ssd. mobile and low power consumption.

Do I need the i7 13"? The i5 looks more pushed than they bother to do the i7.

Do I still need the 15" additional graphics card and the quad i7?

It looks great on screen until the price hits me.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

:)

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It's a macbook pro. Everyone is going to be confused.

3. leman macrumors 604

You don't really need the i7 and you don't need the GPU. A 15" model (with a quad core CPU) will certainly speed up some things for you, but I don't think you will notice it much with your usage pattern. I'd say that 13" will serve your needs just fine. It will certainly be much faster than your old machine.

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Look out for discounts on the 15" i7 on places like Amazon etc... before jumping on the 13" i5, the price difference can be a couple of hundred between the Apple retail of the 13" at times. I've seen the 2Ghz 15" i7 for just over £1,300 in the UK but it fluctuates all the time and that's barely a few hundred more than the retail of the entry level 13" Retina i5.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If refurbished doesn't scare you, I'd see what's in the refurb store for late-2013 models. You might find some nice specs for a good price.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah - I thought he was talking about **wanting** to edit HD video (with layers) on a 2005 PowerBook. I did 720P on a PowerBook once and it was a chore. haha.

7. Sphereskin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sphereskin

MacBook Pro right.

Upgrading my MacBook Pro with a new MacBook Pro

Er...

Duo to i5 or i7 with bells.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Is your video coming in FCP ready (ProRes)? If not, transcoding is a heck of a lot faster with more cores and more CPU power. GPU discrete perhaps helps but an i7 at least.... unless you are a patient editor... :)

The newest Compressor and FCP apps take better advantage of the i7 feature set.

There are a number of comparisons tests about, I don't have a link off hand.