iPad My initial impressions of the iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sylon, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I just received my iPad Air in the mail today. Ordered it without any sort of contact with one in a store or second hand. Just figured, it's Black Friday, why not. So I sold my iPad 3rd gen and order the 32GB wifi model in space grey thru Best Buy at $60 off.

Waited thru the holiday and received my shipping notification thru UPS. Alright cool, it'll be here in just a couple days, I can handle that. The day finally arrives, Dec 4th, and the tracking shows this message: "Exception - due to an operation disruption, packages were not removed from the trailer. Expect a 1 day delay." Lovely. In my mind, that means "it was the end of the day and we were too lazy to finish doing our damn jobs and this was the best excuse we could come up with. So it ends up getting delayed an extra day and arrives today. The box was filled with those big air bags, but it looked like the iPad box itself was in constant contact with the sides of the shipping box, that's pretty worrisome. The sides of the iPad box showed some signs of creases, looking like the shipping box had been tossed around a little. Also, the plastic wrap around the iPad box was torn, hmm.

Took the iPad out and it seemed fine. Screen wasn't cracked, no scratches, looks good. And holy crap it's light! It feels like one of those fake display models you see at the store that lack all internal hardware. The screen, however, does feel cheap. I know how that sounds so let me explain. The screen feels like plastic, not glass. Tap your finger nail on it and you'll know why, it sounds like plastic. I read a review on BestBuy.com from a guy that felt the same way. The screen, albeit made of glass I'm sure, feels cheap and flimsy. It lacks that solid feel from previous iPads, surely to bring down the weight.

Now for the system itself. This thing is blazing fast! Loading the store barely takes any time at all, everything loads up super quick. This I like. Super light, super fast, and despite the screen feel, I think I'm gonna like this thing a lot.

One kind of a bummer, and this is kinda on me for not doing the research prior, is that I thought Airdrop worked between iOS and Mac, but only with new devices. Turns out not to be the case, but could be patched in sometime down the road. That sucks, but at least now I'll be ready. New iPad, 2013 MacBook Pro, good stuff there. Now I just need to decide on a cover/case for the iPad.

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

Nice to know you enjoy it. You made a great purchase.

3. HappyDude20, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wait, you gave your 32gb 3rd gen iPad to best buy and they only took $60 off? Am i reading this right?

4. PadCat macrumors newbie

If you're interested in genuine leather cases, I recommend Bear Motion cases. We bought them for our Airs, they're well made and slim for back and front coverage.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

No, it sounds like he sold his iPad 3 (separately) and bought the Air through Best Buy on a $60 off Black Friday deal. At least that is how I read it. :)

6. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ah nice! I wish I would've jumped on the Air Black Friday deals!

7. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

This. I sold my old iPad to a family member at a steal and then purchased the Air on sale.

8. FrankB1191, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The Mini 1's screen has that same "cheap" feel, but it's due to thinner glass. They had to shave weight, and it only took a few days for me to get used to mine.

Enjoy! :)

P.S. I should have elaborated about getting used to the screen. You should find that it's very sensitive to the touch, and a light touch is all that's required. It's like going from a keyboard with long key travel, to one with short key travel. You'll hit the keys too hard at first, but should adjust quickly.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. The first few times I tapped the screen it felt strange but now I love typing on it even more than I did on previous versions of the iPad.

10. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I'll get used to the screen, it's not a deal breaker for me. The overall feel and lightness of the new iPad far outweighs (ha, punny, lol) the flaws, so far anyway.