My installed apps won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonnykamikaze, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jonnykamikaze macrumors newbie

i know this may be a newbie question, but upon installing certain programs such as kazaa or even yahoo msnger after trying to open them an icon pops up and bounces a few times in the task bar then disappears. nothing starts up.what does this mean i follow the installation procedures to the tee. i have all the update on Mac OS X not to mention all applicable hardware. what am i doing wrong. im used to windows is there a missing step. I've searched most forum sights and no one seems to have answers.:confused::confused::confused:

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

What mac do you have, what version of OS X do you have? And as far as I know kazaa is a PC-only app. Are you downloading the mac version of Yahoo Messenger?

3. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

You are probably downloading an app. with the wrong architecture, i.e. an Intel version of an app. when your 'puter uses a PPC processor, or vice versa. The only times this bouncing problem has ever happened to me was when I accidentally downloaded the wrong version.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I'm curious as to what Kazaa version you're using - on the official website the only program available to download is the Windows version. It doesn't end in .exe, does it? If it does, it means that you can't run it, and you have to find an alternative that's made for Mac OS X.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Frostwire....or use Vmware

6. jonnykamikaze thread starter macrumors newbie

at this time im using 10.3.9 and as far as not being applicable it also happens with software meant 4 mac like adium and appzapper . although i must say upon further review you were right about kazaa it is only for pc.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

For starters, AppZapper requires 10.4.x.

I suspect this may be your problem with others as well.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The latest version of adium is for 10.4 only. Try this version for 10.3

Link

9. jonnykamikaze thread starter macrumors newbie

im guessing this applies to frostwire as well, but i thought in the very least it would run yahoo or is there a older version i can dl? and as far as os x . -.-- would loading another os wipe my hard drive of my music and school work and such or is there an update or patch i can use?

10. jonnykamikaze thread starter macrumors newbie

that version of adium worked perfectly so i guess it was my os. does anyone here know were to get older versions of other commonplace software?

11. jonnykamikaze thread starter macrumors newbie

well it seems that everything is due to the lack of my os thanx i think im done again thanx 2 you all