My internet is only fast when I connect it with a ethernet cable.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zippel.chris, Jan 9, 2010.

1. zippel.chris, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

zippel.chris macrumors newbie

szdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetw

2. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

The laptop may be too far away from the router. Your settings my not be set up correctly. Give the router tech support a call.

3. zippel.chris, Jan 9, 2010

zippel.chris thread starter macrumors newbie

szdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetw

4. Mumford macrumors regular

I'm not sure we have enough info to help troubleshoot this. You say you have three other laptops that work fine? Do they work fine if they're placed where the MB usually sits? Are you sure the network settings on your MB are good? Can you use a program like KisMac to see what kind of signal you're getting?

5. zippel.chris, Jan 9, 2010

zippel.chris thread starter macrumors newbie

szdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetwszdxcfbhjklnmmmmmmjlnbhjgvcftersxdrycfugvibhuonj knohiubgvyuctryxetw

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

are all the notebooks on your network the same speed?
    could be one is running lower thanthe one your running? and its just downgrading the speed to lowest common denominator.

otherwise try a reset of the router and set up again if that might make a difference.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It kind of sounds like you're comparing the speeds of ethernet to wireless. If that's the case, then of course wireless is slower.

• 802.11g: 54Mbps (This would be valid for your WRT54g)
    • 802.11n: 130Mbps
    • Ethernet: 100Mbps (or if Gigabit enabled: 1000Mbps)
    You should also be aware of the difference between MBps and Mbps.

8. Nano2k macrumors regular

I had the same problem has you and my router was 20 feets away and always worked fine with all my Wifi devices. Now I moved the router 6 feets away and it works.

It seems that some people (like you and I) have Wifi problems with our Macbooks even though ever other device we ever had worked fine... So yes there is something about Macbooks and Wifi that make them special even in this regard lol.

Try relocating your router or you can check there is a thread about changing the DNS servers that some people say sped up their internet.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Something else that might be worth trying is cycling the wireless channel used. I've found that this can occasionally fix slow wireless connections with my PowerBook.