My internet isn't working, help! please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techlover828, Aug 3, 2007.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Ok, so I just got my macbook pro, and I love it, I've been using it at my moms for 3 days and have had no problems. Now, I came over to my dads house, and the internet isn't working. My dad has a much more sophist aced system with network extenders, etc. I tryed first wireless internet and then I plugged it in. Still nothing. There's a box that says IP Configuration: "192.168.X.XXX in use by 00:14:38:de:6e:XX, DHCP Server 192.168.X.X"

I need the internet, obviously, so I need some help getting it to work.

Thanks for your help in advanced!

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Renew your DHCP license in your network system preferences and make sure it's set up to get an IP automatically instead of assigning one.

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

that didn't work, its giving me the same error message, I think I did it right

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Your dad may have an access list on his router.Ask him to add your MAC address to it.

5. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ok, I know just as much as about computers as my dad, although don't have much experience with network setup but I have the router thing up, what exactly do I do? I appreciate your help, I love this website!

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Since I don't know what kind of router it is I'd ask your dad since you said he had a pretty fancy set-up.

P.S. I'd delete that MAC address in your first post ;)

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

Thanks, I'll tinker around, anyone else have any good ideas?

8. I WAS AN EMPIRE macrumors newbie

I WAS AN EMPIRE

how do you do this ? i'm having the exact same problem with my macbook and my two home computers

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Go under network and under configure set it to: Using DHCP with manual address and configure it with your own number.

Example: 192.168.1.xxx<~~~ Just make up your number, make sure it doesnt conflict with your dad/mom's computer ip address.

10. jofus macrumors member

To add a MAC address to the router you'd have to have the user name/password of the router to log in and add it to the list of accepted MAC addresses (if that's what your question was about).

11. crewrules101 macrumors member

Dhcp

Another idea might be to check you networking preferences in the System Preferences. The error message makes me think you are using DHCP with Manual IP address. You should be able to change it so that you are just using DHCP. I dont know what OS you are running, but if you want more help finding the location, i'd be more than happy to help.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

generally that username/password is admin for the username and either admin again for the password or just blank.