My iOS 5 GM upgrade experience.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wezman2k, Oct 9, 2011.

1. wezman2k, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

wezman2k macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2007
    i can say things didn't go well for me. made a backup with itunes 10.4.1 and 4.2.10 just prior to installing iTunes 10.5 beta 9 and ios 5. well, i restored to ios 5 and everything went well until i tried to restore from backup.

initially i kept getting a message that said my backup is corrupt or not compatible with the iphone. i then tried restoring from an older iphone backup located from time machine to see if that worked. it didn't.

eventually i just brought my backup to my friends computer which had 10.4.1. i put the phone in dfu and restored down to 4.2.10 which worked fine. when i tried restoring from the backup at this point the iphone would just disconnect for no reason in the middle of the upgrade. bummer.

thankfully i didn't lose too much because it's all on my computer...i did, however, lose my app organization and settings, text messages etc.

i won't be trying to upgrade early in the future, that's for sure. i'm also not sure if i really trust iphone backups anymore. now that i have everything back to normal i've made a fresh backup. let's hope i can rely on it for future updates/restores.

edit: aside from the above issues i've been using iOS 5 and it's working great.
  2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2010
    I think you only really have the right to complain when your complaint doesn't contain the word beta.
  3. masonhogfan macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2011
    It's because you have jailbroken in the past. Go to /private/etc/hosts and open it in text edit. Put a "#" in front of the second to last line and save. Every thing will work from there
  4. wezman2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2007
    I'm not complaining I'm sharing an experience.

I have never jailbroken before.
  5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

Nov 8, 2007
    you obviously did something wrong because it worked fine here.
  6. wezman2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2007
    I've installed iOS 5 betas before with no issues... So I did something wrong because my backup somehow was corrupt? I think I layed out my steps pretty clearly, so saying I just did "something" wrong is a little ambiguous.

If I did do something wrong I'll accept that but I really don't think I did.