My IP Address is constantly changing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

. . . and it's getting really annoying because I portforward. Last night, in the Network Pref Pane, my IP's last 3 digits went from 108, to 107, to 101, to 105, to 103, and now back to 107.

Is there a way I can set up a simple static IP address?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can't you just select DHCP with manual address in network prefs. That is what i did under tiger.

3. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I've tried that, but every time I just lose my internet connection.

4. newtonGOT macrumors newbie

My IP address is changing, too

I can't figure out how to make it stop. I've been searching for an answer, but I haven't found much. I just have to keep reconnecting to the airport every time the IP address changes, which is annoying. My connection is also much slower than it was prior to this difficulty. Any thoughts?

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You should be able to specify a manual IP address in the router's range. What happens when you do that?

6. switon, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: DHCP with reservations...

Hi NickD,

It sounds like your router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses to your machine on the local network. For some reason, your machine disconnects from the router, perhaps because it goes to sleep? When your machine asks to reconnect to the router, the router gives it a new IP address, thus your changing IP address.

If this is indeed what is happening, then you can eliminate this problem by configuring your router to use DHCP with Reservations whereby the router reserves certain IP addresses for certain machines. These machines will always get assigned the same IP address by the router whenever they connect. Machines that don't have reserved IP addresses will be assigned other non-reserved IPs by DHCP.

Regards,
    Switon

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First tell us what router you are running. This way we can show you how to go into your router and assigning a DHCP Reservation for your Mac.

8. joeycool macrumors member

joeycool

you need to log on to your router first so we need to know router details correct :)

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Sounds like the DHCP lease on the router is VERY short. One way you can fix the IP address changing is to set up a reservation on the router for that computer. That allows you to maintain the configuration on your computer but also keep giving it the same address.