My ip address says im in ... kansas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watermelon, Mar 25, 2008.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Hiii...
    i have a macbook pro and im from new york.
    and my ip used to be fine, and it would say im in new york on websites such as speedtest.net but last night my internet randomly slowed down A LOT while i was downloading like 20 bittorrent files at once on my pc and now my ip says im from kansas?

So yupp....could this have anything to do with net neutrality or is my ip address supposed to change?
    I have roadrunner + airport extreme
    thankss

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Are you by chance running an anonymizer, through a network like TOR, L2P, or tunneling SSH to avoid getting caught with those torrents by chance?

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the ISP can have ip addresses anywhere around the country, im in central florida yet it thinks im in atlanta, and your 20 torrents are eating up all of your bandwidth, perhaps you should cut down on the pirating;)

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Roadrunner offers their service in many places. It is likely that the IP address you are currently assigned used to be assigned to their system in Kansas, and when the reallocated their addresses you got one from Kansas and they haven't updated their geographical locations with WhoIS and other online databases. At my apartment at university we have at&t T-1 service (actually 8 T-1s) and our IP addresses report us as being in Northern California, even though we are in Flint, MI.

TEG

5. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

never!
    haha:D
    My ip's been the same for as long as i can remember.
    now it randomly changed to some other number, its not like its ALWAYS beein like this.
    thanks for the reply, thoughh:rolleyes: