My IP address...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Snowy_River, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

So, my question is fairly simple, although I'm sure that the answer may not be.

Is there a way to determine what my home IP address is when I'm not at home?

Here is the reason for the question:

I'm using my iPad as a mobile platform when I don't need all the horsepower of my MBP. However, to allow myself access to my files, I have my home router set up to route the appropriate ports to allow me to VNC into my MBP from my iPad. It works like a charm... until my ISP changes my home IP address.

That is precisely what happened, and because I needed to get access to certain files, I had to call a neighbor and ask to have them check whatismyip.com from my network.

Thus, the question is born.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The best idea is to use a service like www.dyndns.org, which assigns a domain name to your IP address. You install a little "agent" onto your computer which updates the DNS record when your IP address changes. Some routers can also update it directly without any additional software.

3. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

I second that, or you could use "no-ip". Both companies are great and you could easily do with their free accounts.

4. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River