Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
So is that normal?
It's at 2.25gb other now. Earlier tonight the capacity was maxed out because I tried downloading a file through safari and then I guess it didn't finish and it got stuck in 'other' land so I had to restore.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
So is that normal?
It's at 2.25gb other now. Earlier tonight the capacity was maxed out because I tried downloading a file through safari and then I guess it didn't finish and it got stuck in 'other' land so I had to restore.

Unfortunately, yes. I've yet to have an iOS device without "other" accumulating.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
Where do you go to see "others"? When I go to Settings - General - Usage I do not see anything reported as being "others".

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Does it go away on its own or do you constantly have to restore?
It's never gone away for me.

Where do you go to see "others"? When I go to Settings - General - Usage I do not see anything reported as being "others".

It's shown in iTunes.

iosother.png

cottonjenn

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
I cannot do the update to iOS8 because I do not have enough room. I'm finding with each update my iPad Mini 16GB is becoming useless. It says I need 4.7GB to do the update. I have deleted so many pictures in the past and I constantly transfer them to my computer. I am down to 1GB of photos, which is around 400 or so photos. My email is at 1GB, the rest are some games and then TV shows apps. I am under 1GB of storage left. To do the update I am going to have to delete most of my apps and I'm thinking I can put them back after the update, hopefully. I'm at the point where I'm feeling if I cannot keep certain things on my iPad Mini, what's the point in having it. I'm just so discouraged right now. Supposedly they got rid of Camera Roll, which doesn't sound good. My cousin did the update and cannot find a lot of her photos. Right now I've decided to hold off on the update.
Sorry for venting.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes, but...

I cannot do the update to iOS8 because I do not have enough room. I'm finding with each update my iPad Mini 16GB is becoming useless. It says I need 4.7GB to do the update. I have deleted so many pictures in the past and I constantly transfer them to my computer. I am down to 1GB of photos, which is around 400 or so photos. My email is at 1GB, the rest are some games and then TV shows apps. I am under 1GB of storage left. To do the update I am going to have to delete most of my apps and I'm thinking I can put them back after the update, hopefully. I'm at the point where I'm feeling if I cannot keep certain things on my iPad Mini, what's the point in having it. I'm just so discouraged right now. Supposedly they got rid of Camera Roll, which doesn't sound good. My cousin did the update and cannot find a lot of her photos. Right now I've decided to hold off on the update.
Sorry for venting.

The 4.7GB requirement is for the installer file only. If you connect via USB and do the update through iTunes, you won't have this problem.

It's pretty common for any machine to need temporary extra space during a system install like this.

cottonjenn

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
So you're saying if I update using the USB thru my computer and iTunes I don't have to worry about the amount of usage? I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Starting with iOS 7, iOS periodically clears the app cache when it needs additional space or when an app is becoming too bloated.

I haven't seen this happen, but it's been talked about on these forums and someone posted a picture of the "cleaning" happening.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep!

So you're saying if I update using the USB thru my computer and iTunes I don't have to worry about the amount of usage? I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

Correct. I've always done iOS updates via iTunes simply out of habit, so I never noticed this issue. Oddly, iOS8 is the first time I've seen people have an issue with OTA updates, too.

Live and learn, I suppose. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.