my iPad 2 has wifi issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macuser1628, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Macuser1628 macrumors member

Keeps losing the connection every 5-10 minutes. I have 2 other iPads (previous version) also running 4.3 and they don't have this issue. Is this happening to anyone else? If so did you exchange it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a number of threads on this, search for them as they'll have more information regarding this issue. The bottom line, you're not alone.

3. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Before you search the other message threads here, I can say that some older Netgear routers are notorious for not working well with Apple products that have Wi-Fi capability. You might want to get the latest model Netgear router or get the latest D-Link or Linksys router to save yourself the hassle of Wi-Fi disconnects.

4. Macuser1628 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but I've got the latest LinkSys E2100L router. my iPhones and 2 other iPads of previous generation have never disconnected once from it. All are running 4.3. I hope this issue will be resolved via a software update. I'm hesitatent to return it, since I don't know when they'll have a new one available.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Oh, I guess they didn't tell you you had to buy a new router for the iPad??? [​IMG]

6. dread macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I actually have to reconnect to the network manually every 10 minutes. Never happened with my old iPad or any of my iPhones.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

8. JayInNJ macrumors regular

This is definitely an iPad / iOS 4.3 issue. It doesn't happen every 10 minutes for me but often enough. The internet stops working although I have a full strength signal and no sign of disconnecting. The quick fix is to go from airplane mode and back quickly which resets the wifi connection. I also sometimes get this coming out of sleep mode. Real annoying and makes the iPad look flakey. I have been using a Wifi G only network. I am switching to an N network for other reasons in the next week.

9. Macuser1628 thread starter macrumors member

Spoke to Apple. They said my only option is to return it. I've got 6 days to do so. They have 0 in stock for exchanges, so I'd have to wait at least a month to get a new one. Since I bought a wifi+3G model I would have to eat the cost of the 1 month subscription to at&t's 3G service. *sigh*

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Revision A products are expected to have small problems like this. I'm not surprised at all.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

They must have understood you wrong, if it is actually a hardware issue that can be demonstrated you can get it exchanged within the 1 year warranty.

You have 6 days to return for a refund.

My iPad 2's wifi performance seems to be worse than my iPad 1. At the far corner of my house it disconnects every once in a while and seems to forget the password. When I am closer to my router it is fine. It is also really slow at the far corner, while my iPad 1 was fine in the same position on 4.3.

I'm probably going to move the router anyways but I'm hoping they can improve the performance in a software update. I know my iPad 1 had wifi issues until they released an update.

And my router is the latest Airport Extreme.

12. Macuser1628 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up! I feel much better! If it's a software issue then I'm sure an iOS update will clear it up. Otherwise I've got plenty of time to exchange it!!
    BTW my problem is quite similar to yours. Aside from losing connectivity, it also occasionally forgets my wifi password. It's a pain to re-enter it...

13. Macuser1628 thread starter macrumors member

Issue solved!

After almost 2 weeks of agonizing wifi signal loss, I'm happy to say the problem was solved by a firmware update by my router maker. This update enabled WMM as a default, whereas before there was no WMM option at all.

14. rdddgggeee macrumors newbie

I have the same issues on my new iPad 2 wifi. It shows a full strength wifi signal on the iPad display, yet won't connect to wifi/internet after the iPad comes out of sleep mode, or after playing a game, etc. I'm grateful for your suggestion to do the airplane mode thing - that solves the problem every time for me. But I really don't want to have to do that for the life of my iPad! I have a Belkin N+ router that works well, so I don't think that's the issue (and again, it shows a full wifi signal on the iPad even when the iPad isn't connecting).

I spoke to someone at an Apple reseller store about this, and they said it sounded like a hardware issue that would require replacing the iPad. But I'm reluctant to do that if it's something that may be fixed in an iOS update. Does anyone know conclusively whether it's even possible for an issue like this to be fixed with an update?

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm having the samenissue with a Belkin N+ router, an iPhone 4, an iPad 1, and an iPad 2. They don't seem to get along well with the Belkin router after coming out of sleep mode. Debating changing routers as last time I checked I have the latest firmware and I'm on 4.3.1.

16. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Had similar issues with the Belkin N+ router. Changed it out for a newer Linksys E4200 and all my iOS devices have been rock solid.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, luckily I bought it @ Costco, so it's goin back. Hope they have something nice in stock so I can buy another there.

18. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Can't say for certain, but I've been having this issue since I updated my old 3GS (three of them) to 4.x.x. I finally got upgraded to the iP4, and still has it. Wifi would keep disconnecting every so often. Even when I'm in the middle of app updates. Which sucks because I don't know when it kicks in to 3G and I'm spending data for no reason. I've also gotten the disconnect issue even when my phone indicates full wifi bars and/or I'm standing right beside my router. I've even seen it go back and forth. As well as it saying "3G" at the top, but under Preferences, it's telling me I'm connected to my network. It's as if it can't distinguish which is which.

This is intermittent, but I'm guessing it's the phone running the iOS 4.x.x.

19. BigRik macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just got my Ipad2 32gb with 3g and have been losing connection to wireless every 10 mins or so despite a strong signal being displayed. I have an old sky net gear router and found changing the channel from 1 to 6 fixed the issue. I now love my iPad again!

Hope this solves some problems for others!

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I don't lose connection on mine like you guys. But I do find the range on mine sucks.

If I even walk outside my house with mine (at the end of my garage) the wifi will show 1 bar and nothing will load on safari. Pull out my iphone 4 and it'll show 3-4 bars and work perfectly.

21. gregrose macrumors 6502

Got new ipad2 wifi only. Notice my wifi is terrible considered to my iPad I just sold, I am not sure what to do

22. SabrinaSPF macrumors newbie

same here on my new iPad 2, it's really getting a bit irritating.

23. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Just curious, are any of you with this issue using Airport Extreme's or non-Apple routers?