Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdUniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
image.jpg
Just felt like something this beautiful deserves to be shared...

I put sticky tape on the cracks coz:
A. To protect my fingers
B. Coz some chunks actually come off

And no. I don’t still use it. I have a Samsung tablet that I’m using at the moment. Hopefully it won’t be too long til I can go back to using an iPad again coz I really like iOS

Dunno why I posted this, but lemme know your thoughts. Perhaps give the iPad a bit of love so it doesn’t feel like a useless piece of junk.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
If you are looking for a budget iPad the 2017 iPad is a great entry level one and great for the money.

EdUniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
If you are looking for a budget iPad the 2017 iPad is a great entry level one and great for the money.
Nah it’s ok. For now I have a Samsung one, but I’m planning on eventually getting the iPad Pro 10.5
[doublepost=1508980358][/doublepost]
I posted a thread a while ago requesting pictures of battered iPads that people still use. Nice one.
Oh! Can I have the link? I don’t really use this iPad any more, but I occasionally just have a little look at the home screen for no reason

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I'm pretty sure it had a good run. The iPad 2 was the first longevity model.

EdUniverse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I'm pretty sure it had a good run. The iPad 2 was the first longevity model.
Yeah. It was weird. I had it for a couple years. I used it a lot. I put it in my bag one day (with a Smart Cover which, by then, was in really bad condition), then took it out and it had somehow gotten pretty bad cracks. Luckily it was mostly around the edge and still worked fine. I got out of bed one day and stepped on it. The cracks worsened but it still worked. Then somehow, a week or two later, I managed to step on it AGAIN. Then it got that big black bar so I chucked it in the drawer under my desk and never used it again. Don’t worry. I already know I’m an idiot.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
It is only a scratch! What really killed my iPad 2 was iOS9.

image-jpg.716532
[doublepost=1509015498][/doublepost]Beautiful! It's a pity you weren't able to say you were still using it, otherwise this would have been the perfect antidote to the myriad 'I can't use my brand new, top spec, all singing, all dancing iPad Pro 10.5 because - it has fingerprints on it....' threads.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I cracked my iPad 2 when I dropped it once. I ordered a new screen and installed it. It's still not great, but at least the screen is in one piece. I use it mostly for streaming music in my office. For my normal iPad use, I still use an iPad Air.

Those cracks are pretty epic. It might be time to retire it and get a new one.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
[doublepost=1509015498][/doublepost]Beautiful! It's a pity you weren't able to say you were still using it, otherwise this would have been the perfect antidote to the myriad 'I can't use my brand new, top spec, all singing, all dancing iPad Pro 10.5 because - it has fingerprints on it....' threads.
I was actually using it daily for 2 years (With iOS7) after it started looking like that.

Unfortunately, after the update from iOS7 to iOS9 it became practically useless - It can't keep any app in RAM I guess, so they crash constantly. We've delegated it to podcasts and iTunes in the kitchen, because that's in practice the only thing it can. Safari is out of the question, amazingly, because Safari will crash no matter what website you go to. Re-install of the OS did nothing.

Last edited:

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
It is only a scratch! What really killed my iPad 2 was iOS9.

I find the quote with the picture quite funny, as the first reading is that it is iOS 9.0 that broke the screen. :)
More seriously, my good old iPad 2 is still in use by a relative who is very happy with it. I told her not to upgrade it beyond iOS 7.0, and it seems that let it be still quite snappy. The iPad 2 was a great release!

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I find the quote with the picture quite funny, as the first reading is that it is iOS 9.0 that broke the screen. :)
More seriously, my good old iPad 2 is still in use by a relative who is very happy with it. I told her not to upgrade it beyond iOS 7.0, and it seems that let it be still quite snappy. The iPad 2 was a great release!
I edited it to make it more clear. iOS7 was slower than iOS6, but perfectly useable. iOS9, should not in any way have been released for that model.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Guess this is a good time to make this thread slightly less sarcastic, here's one of four iPad 2's that I downgraded back to 6.1.3 via odysseusOTA from iOS 8.3.x on three of them and one had 8.4.1 that I updated to 9.3.5 then jailbroke and was able to downgrade from there on it as well. Most are in prime condition as they haven't been used heavily and iOS 6 breathes life back into them, and some apps still run just fine after downloading the last compatible version for them.

The fourth one dual boots 6.1.3 and 9.3.5. iOS 9 runs okay-ish with all the animations/transparency/spotlight/app refresh etc turned off. But still nowhere near what it used to be of course.

iOS 4.3 up to 6 was super smooth, 7.1.2 wasn't bad at all and iOS 8 hit it hard like other A5 devices. 9 wasn't much different in the end in my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_8675.JPG
    IMG_8675.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.