My iPad 2 is replacing my iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan.apham, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ryan.apham macrumors member

As stated in the title, ever since I bought the iPad 2, it has basically replaced my iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro. I think I have not touched the MBP for 4-5 weeks already :confused:. The IP is still in the better case, because I regularly use text, phone, and camera apps, but that's all. The iPad basically does everything better than the IP. A bigger screen, easier to type, play games, watch movies, read ebooks; longer battery life, better basic apps (mail, notes, calendar, etc.), louder speaker, etc. If you know what mean.

Therefore I don't know what to do now. I want to make use of every device I have. Can you guys provide any suggestion?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not using the MBP, perhaps you should consider selling it. Sounds like the iPad is fitting the needs of both the iPhone and MBP, though you cannot fully get rid of the iPhone since the iPad cannot make phone calls (easily)

3. ikaveh macrumors regular

I know what you are saying and i agree in most part but for me the ios version of safari is pretty lame. slow, not easy with multi-tab browsing and no flash.
    thats why I prefer to stay on a laptop when it comes to internet surfing.

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

What do you normally use the iPad 2 for? I still need my Macbook for graphic designer and stuff. It is just easier with mouse. iPhone if my social hub. Phone, Facebook, twitter, messaging, Words/Chess/Hanging with friends. iPad is a three wheel for me. I use it when I am laying in bed or don't want to be near my hot computer.

5. ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

I'm a student. I use iPad to take down notes, do homework, play some casual games, listen to music, watch movies, read and reply emails, organize schedules using calendar, make to-do list, read books, browse Internet, read magazines, use photobooth, and social apps (twitter, facebook, yahoo)... Basically the iPad covers most of my needs...

I don't do movies or photos editing that much. Like, once a year (when needed for project work). Heavy gaming - no.

I think the only thing that I need from the MBP is it's ability to store iPhone and iPad's backup files and to update firmware. But I think that will change soon when iOS 5 comes up...

6. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

the ipad 2 is so good for students.I also use it like you do but ,right know i don't have it anyway,i totally agree that covers the most of our needs

7. walie macrumors 6502a

Ha. Wait until you have to write a huge research paper or thesis. Then it becomes a useless mess

8. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

There are external keyboards that can be bought for the iPad 2 that turn it into an excellent typing machine I'd think.

That'd suck to sell the MacBookPro cuz it's like you never know when you may need it for more indepth, complex, serious computer work, such as more advanced publishing, writing, typing, like aforementioned.

9. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yeah i agree , anyway it is helpful ,isn't it ?

10. ryan.apham thread starter macrumors member

Yeah and now I'm torn especially with the release of the new MacBook Airs...

By the way, why you don't have it now?

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Honestly, I'm definitely picking up a MBP before an iPad. My Windows-based laptop is getting old and is starting to fail me every so often and I feel it's time for an upgrade. Plus, my iPhone does everything that I want it to do and I simply can't justify spending the money for an iPad that I'm most likely only going to use to play Angry Birds. :p