My iPad 2 predictions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coorspate, Mar 1, 2011.

1. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It will have ad upgraded screen of sorts (better readabilty but maybe no higher resolution).

A front facing camera, no back cam.

1gb of ram.

Upgraded processor (a5).

Thinner. Lighter.

Software wise, it will be running 4.4 and will have an incremental feature of iOS 5 that will come to the iPhone in June.

Whoever is presenting will talk about how a big percentage of the web is compatable with the iPad.

What do you guys think?

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

iPad is a handheld device.

It will have front facing camera (Probably VGA, but they might put in HD face time camera like they did on MBP) and back camera, but it will not be 5 megapixel like on iPhone 4. It will be like the one on iPod touch 4.

1GB ram is very unlikely. 512 MB ram is almost certain. If anyone screams about that specs, apple will just shut them off by saying, 1GB ram is not needed at all on these tablets. It will eat battery life. Also, our products are cheaper.

3. leethefilmer, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

leethefilmer macrumors member

leethefilmer

Here's mine:

A4 Processor

iOS 4.3 (Pretty sure it isn't out yet.)

2 hour better battery life.

Same screen (Or at least the same resolution.)
    VGA camera in the front
    HD 720p camera in the back. (The one they use on the iPod 4G.)
    512MB of RAM (Sure we won't know this in till someone cracks it open.)
    Flat back
    Thinner/Lighter (Not by much at all.)
    No USB or SD slot.

I hope I'm wrong on some of these, but it's just a guess.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As I've posted on many threads prior

1.2 - 1.4 ghz A4 (single core)
    SGX543 (updated gpu but single core version)
    512mb ram
    1024 x 768 IPS panel with Anti Glare coating
    VGA & 1.3 megapixel cameras

Slightly lighter 1.2-1.3lbs, Slightly thinner, Slightly louder with new speaker

Same battery life

5. aluren macrumors 65816

Here's mine:

A5 dual core processor and improved graphics
    512mb ram
    Crappy front and back cameras
    Thinner/lighter
    Longer battery life
    Bigger speaker
    Anti-glare screen
    Liquid metal encasing
    iOS 4.3

"At Apple, we are the first to implement a dual core processor on a mobile device that simply works."

"Our VGA cameras are capable of capturing photos and videos in stunning quality."

6. coorspate thread starter macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol! Too funny!

7. coorspate thread starter macrumors regular

coorspate

Lol! Too funny!

Damn double post!

8. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Thinner Body,
    dual core CPU (A5? and perhaps slightly underclocked compared to recent dual core tablets)
    512mb of ram
    front facing cam and back facing
    battery life will stay the same

i also think the ios will be updated slightly to improve for tablets. I think they will be small features/changes that are more useful for a bigger screen.

sizes = 16gb,32gb,64gb or they drop 16gb and start from 32 to 128 (but I doubt it I think they will keep the same sizes)

Prices will be nearly the same if not slightly more expensive than the current

Thats my guess anyway

9. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

whats the point of the rear facing camera? whos going to want to hold up an ipad to try to shoot a photo?

10. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

You´re probably right, that´s why iPad 2 is going to suck big time!

All those updates are necessary just to keep up with the competition, but they are boooooriiiiiiiiiiiing!!!

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Will Apple even say how much RAM it has? Don't we usually have to wait until there's some ifixit teardown?

12. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

there is no point in a front facing camera in my opinion either. I included it in my list because i think if there wasnt one.. everyone would cry on about it until one got placed. So i am asuming it will already be in place.

Might be good for some aurgmented reality games? simular to the 3ds?

13. leethefilmer macrumors member

leethefilmer

Haha. It's fun to guess. :D

Facetime.

14. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Sorry I ment rear facing not front facing lol.

15. leethefilmer macrumors member

leethefilmer

16. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Facetime! and Skype video chat. makes it more a viable laptop replacement. back facing camera is just to show others what you're seeing with video chat. It's going to be hilarious watching people take pictures with their ipad.

17. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Lulz, you'd have to be an idiot to buy this. Now that I know I won't be buying one, I hope it has the above specs to piss everyone off.

18. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I suspect sooner or later there'll be some ways to use tablets hooked up to cameras' live view. We already have photographers using 7" LCDs hooked up via HDMI cable of DSLRs as large field monitors. With the quality of the iPad's IPS LCD, I can see someone offering some solution. And yes, someone will offer an "iPad tripod adapter" so you can take picture with the iPad on a tripod. ;)

19. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I know, I stupidly wrote frontfacing instead of rearing facing (check above)

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Here is my guess

2560 x 1440 resolution screen
    Two 2.6 six core intel Xeon "Westmere" processors
    16 GB of ram
    750 GB SSD
    12 megapixel rear facing camera
    8 megapixel front facing camera
    weight: 1 gram
    slighter thinner than a human hair.

anything less is a ripoff!
    ;)

21. iPadLad macrumors member

iPadLad

I'd be satisfied with a front facing camera and a better wifi antenna/connection... everything else is gravy

22. womble2k2 macrumors regular

My expectations
    1. Thinner (25%)
    2. Lighter (1.3 lbs for Wifi, 1.4 lbs for wifi/3g)
    3. A5 dual core processor with improved graphics and direct IO (possible Thunderbold), coupled with 512 Meg RAM
    4. Improved battery technology.
    5. Flat back
    6. bigger loudspeaker
    7. SD card slot (limited to reading media files only - pictures/videos/music/books, but not for writing to).
    8. Same resolution display, but with 'smart' anti-reflective technology (appears glossy when not in use, but no glare in sunlight).
    9. iOS 4.4 (with a peak of iOS 5). iOS 4.4 will only add new hardware functionality and minor additions and improvements (such as 10. below). iOS 5 will be 'radically' different to previous iOS's with much improved multi-tasking, new UI features (e.g. selectable status bar).
    10. Much improved AirPlay / AirPrint functionality
    11. Background MobileMe synching and backup
    12. Tighter integration with services such as Facebook, Flickr, wikipedia, etc.
    13. Sleaker Safari with tabbed browsing, possible webkit 2 and ultra HTML 5 optimisation.
    14. front and rear camera, front being 1 megapixel and rear 5 megapixel.
    15. addition of CDMA variant, if not a World mode.
    16. Dual dock connectors for docking in Landscape and portrait.
    17. Thunderbolt.
    18. Same storage sizes.

Hoping for
    1. Higher resolution display
    2. a full iLife package included free with iPhoto replacing the current photos app, an improved iMovie package, iWeb, Garageband and an media authoring app.
    3. 4G radio
    4. Wireless synching
    5. No need to tether to register / activate and obtain AppleID, enabling customers without a main PC to use it.
    6. Facetime conferencing.
    7. Full SD card slot functionality.
    8. composite carbon-fibre / liquid metal casing.
    9. Cloud based iTunes / music/video/book storage
    10. Wireless charging
    11. 3G Facetime.

If Apple goes radical
    1. CompactFlash for professional photographers. (so many conversations on Apples own discussions asking for this).
    2. semi-transparent keyboard with Swype integration
    3. Remote Flash rendering, like Skyfire, using their new data centre facilties
    4. Hardware buttons replaced by touch sensitive bezel buttons. Or:-
    5. Shrink the bezel and overall unit size by 1 to 2 inches diagonally whilst maintaining screen size.
    6. Open up more Bluetooth features, e.g. printing via Bluetooth (I'd love to use by PoGo with the iPhone).
    7. translucent case option - oh yes, bring back the early iMac years!

Hope not
    1. NFC - It would be good for the iPhone, but do I want to get an iPad out to make a payment?
    2. Glass back
    3. No home button

Bets for ... One last thing ...
    1. Obviously a refined and free MobileMe package with cloud services and social networking features
    2. With the BBC co-hosting and recently releasing the iPlayer app for iPad, I'm thinking maybe a streaming live video service to the iPad may be on the cards.
    3. New iBook contracts including Random House
    4. OS X Lion - further announcements including release date, pricing and upgrade options for recent purchases.
    5. iOS 5.
    6. An extension of iOS version naming to include dog breeds to differentiate major releases, following the same principle as OS X. The first use of this will be iOS Dalmatian to celebrate the final release of the white iPhone 4 to complement the black ones.
    7. The App Store for Apple TV
    8. Steve Jobs is returning from Medical leave.

Let's review after tomorrow!

Phil

23. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I'm more interested to see how much the user interfaces has developed with iOS 5 than the specs of the iPad 2. :)