My iPad 2 screen is too bright

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
My iPad 2 screen is too bright, even in its dimmest brightness level. I can make it dimmer inside iBooks app, but not in the system settings.

Is there any solution?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Do you have auto-adjust brightness enabled? That could be the reason it's too bright for you.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
That's how all iPad 2's are. iPad 3's are definitely dimmer at the lowest setting but not as bright I think.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
It can’t go below the lowest brightness setting unless an app specifically has a function to dim the app rather than the screen.

What may be useful is going to Settings > General > Accessibility and setting “Triple-click Home” to Invert Colors.

Then pressing the home button three times in rapid succession will invert the screen, which generally makes things a lot dimmer and more comfortable to read in the dark. (when reading a book, I actually prefer to invert the sepia tone rather than black-on-white)

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
It can’t go below the lowest brightness setting unless an app specifically has a function to dim the app rather than the screen.

What may be useful is going to Settings > General > Accessibility and setting “Triple-click Home” to Invert Colors.

Then pressing the home button three times in rapid succession will invert the screen, which generally makes things a lot dimmer and more comfortable to read in the dark. (when reading a book, I actually prefer to invert the sepia tone rather than black-on-white)
You, my friend, just made my day. I had no idea that you could invert the colors on your iphone. That is basically a new theme for the iPhone. I am no longer "bored" with iOS :D

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I used to have a new iPad for a couple of weeks and It was so nicer on the eyes, since it was higher resolution and backlight would get so much dimmer.

What if I jail break it? Would it get as dim as the new iPad?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I used to have a new iPad for a couple of weeks and It was so nicer on the eyes, since it was higher resolution and backlight would get so much dimmer.

What if I jail break it? Would it get as dim as the new iPad?
Yes, jailbreaking works. Tweak called Screendimmer

http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.yllier.screendimmer

It basically doubles the length of the brightness bar, heck, you can make it even dimmer than the new iPad if that's what you want.

If it's a widespread nuisance like screen brightness, there's basically always a tweak for that.