My iPad 3 slows down in graphics intensive situations.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I have noticed that in certain situations, my iPad appears to drop in framerate and then speed back up.

It happens in the first 30 seconds or so of real racing 2 after the main menu pops up and the car comes on screen. I also noticed in the first bit of inifnity blade 2 it seemed to be a little sluggish but then sped back up. I also did a test of watching the extended mass effect 3 taking back earth hd trailer and while watching it seems to slow just a bit at certain points.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Please let me know so I can go to an Apple store and exchange it if I might have a faulty chip.

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

you're wrong, there's never been a fault developed on any ipad ever.

Either that or you're holding it wrong

3. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Unless an app has been updated, the coding isn't taking full advantage of the new hardware. Should get better.

4. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I was thinking this might be the issue. Maybe the companies just doubled the resolution but didn't really optimize the apps yet to run the smoothest.

I did notice that sky gamblers ran silky smooth with no issues at all. Since that game was designed specifically for the iPad 3, I am happy that it performs so well.

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I notice no slowdown playing infinity blade at all.

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Well, Real Racing 2 has been updated. At least for the initial resolution, perhaps they will do some more tweaks in another update later.

I played a couple races though and had no slowdown at any time.

The one thing Ive noticed is that the screenshot function (ios level, home/power) has a delay now, and sometimes wont work at all. Tried to take RR2 screenshots and it was tough to get what I wanted. Even normal OS use has a delay on the screenshot now.

7. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I have Real Racing HD 2 on my iPad 2 running the prior version (before they added 2048x1536 support), it definitely has a higher frame rate than the iPad 3 running the updated version. I expected this - it takes quite a beefy card to run a racing game on the PC at high frame rate on 1920x1200 resolution. Now we have 2048x1536 on a handheld device.. I have seen the choppiness during a race, like a hiccup here and there and it's all smooth again. It's probably background process making more RAM available. What I do notice is with the iPad 3's 1GB of RAM, I can open a lot more apps and Safari still keeps all my opened tabs without refreshing.

I'll probably pickup Sky Gamblers next. This is probably less graphically intense than Real Racing HD so it should run at a higher frame rate..

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

I definitely noticed a few stutters in Real Racing 2 HD.

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

Was iOS 5.1 publicly beta tested, or was it just released at the iPad announcement? New OS plus new hardware equals weird **** like this.

By the way, I have experienced both the RR2 opening video issue and the screenshot lag issue. The new iPad is one day old, software updates should iron out these kinks, it's normal.

10. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Hey i want to chime in on Real racing 2 as well, awesome game but in the beginning in the main menu it becomes choppy , the app needs to be optimized, thats all.