iPad My iPad 3 won't charge went I boot into Linux

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mactzu, Jun 15, 2013.

1. mactzu macrumors newbie

pretty simple but I don't have a solution.

I have MBPr with triple osx,win7, gentoo Linux. when I'm in Linux my iPad won't charge. I know it need extra but charges fine when booted into osx.

is it a kernel option I need to enable.

thx in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS devices charge only once a computer has engaged one of their services. On Linux, you have two choices to engage an iOS device. One is the PTP service and the other is usbmuxd. You may have to install usbmuxd from your package manager.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Your iPad will charge on any computer that has a powerful enough USB port. It could be that the USB ports under Linux aren't powerful enough; they may be restricted to 5 volts. Will your iPhone charge?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5 volts at 500mah-2a alone to the iPad's USB port won't charge it. An iPad will charge on a standard USB port's 500mah, but it may say not charging. It still is charging, just extremely slowly. The computer and iPad still need to do a handshake before the iPad will charge. It is possible that the OP's Linux OS hasn't been properly setup to do a handshake to start the charge.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I've charged an iPad on a windows computer with no apple services installed. I've charged from a knockoff charger. You do not need an apple service to charge an iPad.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Windows computers use the PTP service to do a handshake and wall chargers use a hardware based handshake.