My iPad 3rd Gen; repairable without a new casing?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SonRK, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SonRK, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

SonRK macrumors 6502

So I dropped my iPad shortly after I bought it and it caused a crack on the screen. Originally it was just concentrated on the top left, and didn't affect the portion where I could see see (black border, I guess?) So I just put electrical tape over it and continued to use it.

After a few months a crack through the iPad appeared (spider webbed?) which originated from the original contact point. I have bad OCD and can't use it without being constantly bothered by the crack. (I don't know how people use their phones and such with huge spiderwebbed cracks @_@ *shudder* )

ANYWAYS, I took it to microcenter to have it hopefully repaired for under $150. They said because of the following ding on the bottom right of the ipad:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5914/20121121072757.jpg

They would need to replace the whole casing and the repair would be $280. Considering I can get a refurbished one for Apple for $300 I politely declined. I then went to Apple to see if I would be one of the lucky few who gets a replacement for free or something, but nothing. The genius did say that I should go get it repaired form a 3rd party place since it would be cheap. I pointed out the ding and he said "They should be able to pull it back, replace the screen, and then ding it back" I don't mind the ding as much so I don't care if it was a little squished like that.

So I am asking you guys if anyone knows if it's possible to have this repaired without a new casing? I also played with the thought of changing the screen myself so that's also a possibility. Take a day off and attempt to fix my own gadget.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Have you checked with Apple to see what an Out Of Warranty exchange would be? It's may be close to what you'd end up paying to have it replaced.

3. SonRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, that would be $300

It would beat having it repaired from a 3rd party, and Apple said they wouldn't repair it anyways,

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I wouldn't repair my own as I'm afraid I'd cause more issues, so I'm not much of a help to you. I'd bet SPNarwhal knows as they have mentioned fixing iPads.

5. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you can probably get it repaired without a new casing. It looks like a new part won't fit in there until you hammer the case back into it's original form, which is probably why places are saying it needs a new casing. The repair shop either doesn't want to or can't hammer out such tiny dings, or they don't want to take a chance that they'll say it will be cheaper and then get in into the shop and they can't get the part to fit.

So yeah, it can be repaired, but finding a shop that wants to take it on will be a challenge. You can keep trying with every place you find on google, or you can do it yourself.