All iPads My ipad air is messed up, please help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moistseagull, May 3, 2015.

1. moistseagull, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

moistseagull macrumors newbie

So my ipad air was lagging badly and i realised that i dont have anything important on there, so i went to settings, general, reset, and reset the settings and content, it then got stuck during start up and wont turn on, im trying to restore it via itunes but as soon as i take it off the wall charger it dies, it charges will plugged into the computer but so slowly it took an hour and a half before it tried to turn on again. When it finally did start to turn on, i held the home and power button at the same time until the connect to itunes symbol came up, i connected to itunes, and clicked restore and update, after half an hour, it said finished, no diference.

What i would like to know is if there is any way to fix other than taking it to apple to replace, my parents dont know and they punish me badly when i break stuff.

Thanks!

TLDR: wont turn on, dies when not on wall, computer restore doesnt work, would avoid replacing at all costs.

EDIT I left it on charge overnight (about 10 hrs) to see if just leaving it would do anything, when I checked it, it was hot and out of battery,i checked and it had been plugged in properly.

2. richmlow macrumors regular

I would recommend that you take it to an Apple Genius at an Apple Store. He/she will be able to help you!

Best of luck!

richmlow

3. moistseagull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but when I said I don't want to replace it, what I meant was, I don't want to have to take it anywhere, I don't want my parents to know its broken

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I didn't know your parents would punish you! They love you very much. Anyway just go to Apple Genuis and tell him or her that you don't want your parents punish you and also tell that you don't want it to replace just fix it right away. :apple:

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I would turn it on and wait for the Apple logo to appear. If it stays stuck on the Apple logo with the progress bar stuck, that's when I would hold down both the power and home button until the screen goes blank and the Apple logo reappears (reboot).

If it's successful I would not connect it to your computer. I would setup as new and see if it finishes the setup with no problems. If it does you can always connect to iTunes to restore and backed up data.

6. 960design macrumors 68030

It could be the charging circuit. If you used a cheap ( non apple ) usb cable or power brick you may have damaged the charging circuit on your iPad. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this.

Here's what I would do.
    1) Turn it off.
    2) Start iTunes
    3) Hold down the home button and plug it into your computer using the USB cable, while still holding down the home button. DO NOT let go until you see the iTunes logo.
    4) Go into iTunes and choose restore without backup.

Good luck.

7. moistseagull thread starter macrumors newbie

I have only used the charging cables etc that came with the ipad, also it dies as soon as I take it off wall charge so its difficult getting the computer to even recognise it

----------

I tried this, but it showed the apple logo for about 20 seconds then the progress bar appeared again, I tried again just to be safe, and it died.

8. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Try a dfu mode restore before taking it in.

To enter DFU mode:

1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
    2. Turn off the device.
    3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
    4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
    5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
    6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Screen must appear completely black, and iTunes picks it up to restore, for it to be in DFU mode. If it is in recovery mode, it will show a "connect to iTunes" logo on the screen which is incorrect.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

If a DFU restore doesn't work then it's possible you do in fact have a hardware failure.

10. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

The battery isn't charging this is a hardware issue. Not the OP's fault.