iPad My iPad Air purchase

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gsusser, Nov 3, 2013.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

1. I placed my order online to have it shipped shortly after midnight 11/1.

2. I changed my mind and decided I wanted to pick it up in the store since I was almost passing it. This is the flagship store in NYC on 5th Ave. I called customer service within a couple of hours after my purchase to be shipped. They were able to cancel the order but not the transaction. So, they had to authorize my card again. Not a big deal since the first transaction would disappear in a few days.

3. I got an email an hour later that my iPad was ready to be picked up when the store opened.

4. I got to the store about 8:30am, 30 minutes after it opened. I didn't take into consideration the insanity at the stores on launch days. The line was around the block. But I didn't have to wait since I purchased it. Actually, it was about 30 minutes before I got to see someone to pick it up. Not bad, considering. But the insanity of launch days is not for me.

5. 10 minutes after I give the employee my email that it's ready for pickup, he comes back with an ashen look on his face to say it's not there. First he tried to re-interpret the email that said my iPad was ready for pickup, but I guess he realized how foolish he sounded. He went to get the manager.

6. Another 15 minutes. They had 100s if not 1000s of iPad Airs there, but only one was apparently earmarked for me. Whatever. They agreed to cancel the transaction and sell me one from the store.

7. Their system wouldn't let them cancel the transaction. They suggested buying one at the store anyway and calling customer service to get them to cancel the transaction on my credit card. I bought the iPad.

8. So, that's 3 authorizations against my card, or $3000.

9. They threw in a $100 leather case for my troubles. I was okay with that and understood the hassles of launch day.

10. I called customer service later in the day to get my refund for the one I was supposed to pick up. They couldn't refund the transaction! No reason given, but the customer service senior rep said he'd call me later.

11. No call.

12. I called yesterday and was told the transaction could not be cancelled because the iPad was in transit to the store! WTF!

13. Dealing with Apple on the phone sucks. I'm just disputing it with my bank.

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You should have had the patience to just wait for the iPad you ordered

3. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

So you're mad because you made impulsive decisions based on impatience and complain that Apple couldn't bend over backwards to accommodate you? I admit I'm impulsive myself but I've had no problems with Apple's service. They're actually one of the best companies with customer service I've had.

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Sorry guys I agree with the OP. Its a customer service issue. The iPad shouldve been cancelled immediately. So what if a customer paying premium dollars expects a premium experience end to end. I hate that adjusting your order isn't simple and hassle free with Apple.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I agree. If I want to cancel an order for something I haven't received, cancel it. Whether it's in transit or not it's not my problem. Apples billing system design issues are not my problem. I pay, they give me product. They don't give me product, I cancel the order. Just do it. No excuses. They should call their internal IT department to fix that and not put it on me.

6. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Actually it is your problem. When you buy any product, you therefore agree to the business policies that go with it. No company would ever cancel and refund a product that's in transit. How do they know someone won't pull a fast one and get the refund AND keep the product coming in the mail? I don't understand how people can't take responsibility for their own actions.

The only thing I will agree with is the fact they make you call 1-800 my apple to cancel an order that's picked up in store. That doesn't make sense to me.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oops, sorry no. It's in transit to their own store, not to me. If it were being sent to me, I'd understand. But how Apple moves product internally is also not my problem.

8. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

Ohhhh...yea you're right. My apologies. 'Have a cold so head's not working right. : (

9. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the responses.

The one and only thing I'm not happy about in this case is their failure to refund an item that was stated to be in the store and ready for pickup and wasn't. I never went to a store on launch day and really didn't take that into account when I changed my mind to pick it up at the store. I understand all the other problems and they more than compensated by giving me a $100 case. I'm very much okay with how the store handled the problem. However, telephone support's failure to respond to giving me a legitimate refund is a huge failing. Not for nothing, there were at least a dozen other people in the same position as me.

I'm not knocking Apple as a whole, far from it, I own enough of their products and I agree they have the best support of any computer company, but they screw up a lot too. I wrote about my hassles with telephone support in another section earlier today.

The executive summary is that a senior advisor dropped the 8 ball and gave me bad instructions which caused huge problems and it took another technician and me 4 hours to fix. The advisor was supposed to call back but she never did. And she never gave me or sent her contact info like she was supposed to. I do not find this terribly unusual, although it is not normal. Similar stuff has happened before, though it is not par for the course. In this case, I'm getting a free 3TB external drive to compensate for their misdeeds. While I appreciate the compensation very much, I would have preferred that things were handled properly.

If this were a smaller less bureaucratic company, in all likelihood, the fiasco with the credit card never would have happened. C'mon, if they wanted to issue a refund, it's a small matter of entering numbers into a computer. No one at Apple denied I was due a refund; they simply stated something to the effect that their system wouldn't allow them to do so.

So, I got a free iPad case and external drive, probably retailing at $200 plus. I'm pleased they acknowledged their mistakes which cost me time and a hassle and I appreciate it. However, it is the consumer that eventually pays for these things.

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I can't say I agree. I'm the type who wants it right away too. Apple should have handled the OP much better though. I would have told them I wanted to change it from ship to store pickup with no other charges. Maybe he tried that. The 3rd charge is ridiculous though. You had proof of payment and they should have just given it to you. Also, at my store they had a line for people without personal pickups and a very short line for people with pickups. You shouldn't have had to wait in line with people who hadn't preordered.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Look at it this way; you gave Apple a 1 week $3000 loan, and got 6.5% interest, in the form of a hard drive and a leather case.

Most investors would kill for that kind of yield on such a short turnover.

12. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I like that. But I'd give it all back to get my lost Saturday back! Plus the fortune I had to spend on blood pressure medication. -)

13. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Did you ask for compensation with either or did they simply offer them?

14. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Blood pressure, lol you sound like me.

15. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Sounds like you had a big nightmare and good thing you had the cash to pay 3 times. I just don't know why Apple couldn't change it from shipping to pickup without charging you again.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

truly a harrowing experience. If his dad ever stumbles upon this post I bet he'll feel exactly like Otto Frank did
    ;)

17. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Both items were offered.

18. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Kind of the same story for me. Ordered at 3:02 and got a pickup notice at 5:18 am. Went to the store at 9 and it wasn't there. I got a free smart case and picked up a 32 GB White Verizon. I'm happy. Apple had a screw up, but the leather case made it okay for me.