iPad My iPad Air Smart Case review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by anthonymoody, Nov 6, 2013.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I picked up a Product(red) smart case for my iPad Air. Much as I love the feel of it naked in my hands I just can't risk the consequences of a drop completely unprotected. Based on how much I use my iPad (note my signature) the case is a very big deal to me.

I had used an Apple smart case on my prior iPad Retina and to be honest I grew to hate it. The edges of the case around the device were uncomfortably sharp, same with the edges of the cover portion. It was the kind of thing that made me believe that there's no way Steve Jobs had ever used one. (Sorry to be "that guy")

The good news is that the smart case for the air is much better in this regard. In one hand or two it's much more comfortable to hold. Still a touch sharp and irritating to the touch, but not nearly as bad as the prior case.

Two other downsides I've found so far:

- the cover only has 3 segments vs 4. As a result it doesn't lay as firmly or securely in 'lap typing' mode

- the cover leaves lines on the screen at the joints between segments. A quick wipe removes them, but it's somewhat annoying.

Overall, given the price, I can't really recommend the Air smart case. I'm sure there will be zillions of cases available shortly, and several will be better than this thing.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Thanks for the review. I would buy one but

a) I think they're expensive
    b) I wish they were made from anything but leather

3. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I wish it was an optional back cover that was compatible with the smart cover, rather than a whole case.

I love the removable-ness of the smart cover, but still want back protection and the nice uniform look of the case.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree that the back of the Smart Case is really nice. So much that I'm tempted to cut off the front "lid" section and just use the back!

The move from four panels to three is really unfortunate, I wish they had kept the four panels.

But I'm not as confident as Anthony about other manufacturers coming up with better cases. The Smart Case is amazingly light, while still having a quality leather feel. I doubt anyone else will manage this combination of lightness and feel -- you could get one, but not the other.

5. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I'm totally anti-case but I have two little kids and I have to say. The smart case is amazing. It's size is perfect for a case. The buttons have great feel and it looks good.

6. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I bought the $79.00 $9.00 leather case. It does not work in typing or viewing position. It's awful

Has an Apple logo imprint though!

7. AstroKeith macrumors newbie

I was disappointed that my smart case didn't stand up very well in "viewing position". I've just applied a good treatment of clear leather cream to the case (mine is brown and didn't change the colour at all, but do test first!) and now it stands up perfectly!

8. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

I returned mine for a refund.

I wonder what Vaja will come up with. Their 'back' cases are usually a little bulky but man is the leather beautiful. I'm also considering the portenzo and other similar book type cases at this point.

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have been using the Smart Case since launch day and can say that I really love it.
    I opted for the black leather as my iPad Air is Space Grey and I will be using it at work a lot so couldn't go for a bright colour.
    It looks fantastic, it feels quality and sturdy enough to take anywhere I go. It feels as though it would absorb a waist high drop with no damage to the iPad Air (don't want to find out though).
    The precision of the speaker and microphone holes are fantastic.

I have also applied a screen protector to my iPad and it feels completely protected with this combination.

Ideal if you don't mind the price tag.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree on both. Most Apple products I can deal with because I like Macs, OSX, and iOS so I done mind paying for it. This case is just way too much even for Apple, but I'll see them in person later today.

11. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

I got a brown one on launch day for my space gray. I am giving it the full two weeks before deciding to keep or return it, but so far leaning towards keeping it. With the exception of the black one, all other colors looked too light. I wanted something to contrast with the black front of the device without being super bright. I had assumed that the brown option would look natural as a leather - it doesn't. Over the last week, the back is starting to darken and looks quite a bit better. The front is not showing any color change, but then I don't really touch the front like I do the back. The positions it can be put in are not the best or always the most secure, but with continued use I been able to adapt and it is working much better than expected.

12. kdoug, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Applying Lexol to the cover helped with the stand.

13. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    I bought one and tried leather conditioner , and neats foot oil to darken it- not much change. Still looking for a slim case of nice leather.

14. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

Regarding the "brown" case that almost looks Orange. I'm thinking of trying to apply some dark brown shoe polish to darken it. It would have to be buffed well as I don't want polish coming off on my clothes etc. Anyone try this yet to darken the "brown"?

15. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

Here is a couple of pictures after I took the dark brown shoe polish to the "Brown" smart case and then buffed out so the polish won't come off. I like my new "antiqued" look.

Attached Files:

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

I got to say, I'm not a fan. Looks like wood.

Then again, the brown case was not a good color to begin with, IMO.

17. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

How much weight does the Apple Smart case add to the iPad Air?

Does it negate all the weight shavings from the previous generation iPad? Does it make it uncomfortable to use in one hand?

18. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

5.7 oz. for the smart case brings it up to almost the Pad 4 (in a smaller form factor). However, I need a case on a 128 gb cell unit that I travel with constantly. If you add a case to the iPad 4- you are way bigger and heavier. It's easy to use in the case one handed and actually gives you more to "grip". There IS such a thing as "too thin" that causes a strain to hold it. I was going for the "old book" look on my smart case modification.

19. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Does the front flap stay secure when folded back in book mode? I really love the detail put into the smart case in regards to covering up the Air and looking like the device was made that way. I still need the functionality tho

----------

That's nice! What was the process? I'd like to try that with the black one. I've never shined shoes or boots that's what I mean.

20. meistervu macrumors 65816

No, the opposite is true for me. The case make the iPad so much more comfortable to hold. Without it, the iPad feels slippery and sharp and you have to apply more pressure to hold it. The iPad Air is so light and the leather SmartCase is also very light that the added weight is not perceptible to me.

I think we are all a bit hang up on weight. Take a book that weighs about the same as an iPad. It feels better in hand because it is not cold and sharp, and it would even it if it is a bit heavier. So my suggestion is don't get so hung up on a few ounces and try it for yourself.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, the flap doesn't stick to the back of the case. I'm looking for a thin piece of metal to tape to the back so I can secure the cover. A paper clip sort of works, but I'm hoping to find something smoother and flatter.

22. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

Just buy a can of shoe polish (dark brown) is what I used after conditioning the leather with Mothers or McQuires leather conditioner. Polish lightly and let it dry just a short time, and rub(buff) the leather until it shines. Conditioning again and time will darken , crease, and soften the leather if it's good quality.

23. Orion025 macrumors newbie

Posted this in another thread but you could use Obenauf's leather oil if you want to avoid the streaky look. It's been done several times before using Obenauf's on the old leather Smart Cover and leather iPhone cases. Plenty of pics if you search around the forum.

Pics of my case below:

[​IMG]

Contrast against microfiber lining and black screen

[​IMG]

24. RichyB macrumors regular

I would buy one but:

-The earphone jack hole doesn't have enough space to accept my sony headphones.
    -It didn't feel that durable.

25. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That looks awesome!