My iPad and iPhone share my phone number now. Did this just happen?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gforce216, Jul 9, 2012.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I just got a notification on my iPhone that my iPad is now utilizing my phone number for iMessage. I took a photo and wanted to know if that was just pushed out or had been available. I knew it was an iOS 6 feature, but I just hadn't seen it yet.

2. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Forstall said they would be unified in ios 6.

3. gforce216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, but it wasn't a feature that I saw in Beta 1 or 2 initially. I figured it would roll out eventually over one of the betas, but tonight it just magically happened. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with it.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think it's been there since beta 1. It's nothing new.

5. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

How'd you get it to share mobile number? This is something I've been wanting but had to give up and just do email as there's nowhere to put mobile number in iMessage on my iPad ?

6. pad07 macrumors regular

It's a bit of a fiddle to get working but it's pretty slick. Take a look in the settings app for Messages under Send/Receive.

My caller ID on iPhone and iPad is my phone number. All iMessage chat histories since that point update on both and I can literally swap between iPad and iPhone and they'll stay in sync on the message screens. Nifty if I read a new message on one, the notification disappears completely from the other.

Since no one iMessages me from my email, this new feature has added a whole new layer of functionality to my iPad I personally didn't use before.

Also works for FaceTime, you receive a call and it comes through on both, when you answer on one it cancels on the other as you answer it.

My Mac has just broken but I know that with Mountain Lion, the same applies for iMessage and FaceTime. Really good stuff and a quiet but big impact feature.

Next up: allow us to consolidate multiple IDs for one easy, unified sign on!

7. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

This will be the biggest feature for me. My "text" icon has been sitting, docked at the bottom of my iPad screen for almost 9 months. I tried it once and freaked someone out as they had no idea who the text was coming from. Now I'll be able to use my iPad to text instead of having my iPhone sit right next to me at night just on case.

8. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

I think you put it in in the contact. And then she you select a new message you pick phone or email. I think that's what I did.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

10. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I have my number in my contact details

11. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Not working?

So the settings within message on my iPhone and iPad have this setup. I can see my mobile number on my iPad but I don't receive SMS on my iPad also I can not send SMS from my iPad.

Anyone got any help? Suggestions. Think this is setup correctly!!

I'm in the UK, just wondering if this is a US only feature.

Snapper

12. gforce216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is only for iMessage still. Even though the iPad now has the phone number it does not do SMS.

13. Snapperjw macrumors regular

What's different then?

Oh ok, so what is do new with this then? Couldn't you do this anyway prior to IOS6?

Or are you saying that this did not work for your cell number, only worked for email addresses registered for iMessage but now if someone with an iPhone sends me an SMS it will appear on my iPad as it will be sent as an iMessage?

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

This is correct. in iOS5 you could only receive iMessages on your iPad if they were sent to your email address, but in iOS 6 they'll appear on your iPad even if sent to your phone number. And it only works with iMessages, not SMS.

15. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Sorry that isn't the case for me. I had to make sure from now on all messages that my iPhone sent in iMessage were from my email rather than my mobile number otherwise my iPad wouldn't receive them.

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

On iOS 6 or iOS 5?

17. gforce216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was the case for iOS 5. iOS 6 they have merged the phone number and email address into one. So now you can send from a phone number on both the iPad and iPhone and receive at that number too.

18. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Confirmed

Yep now understood

I can send iMessages from my iPad to iPhone phone numbers. I can receive iMessages on my iPad from phone numbers.

But what I would like is total integration of ALL SMS / text messages from iPhone to iPad.

But this is a good start. Thanks for the advice everyone.

19. shandyman Suspended

Indeed. Getting the iPad to pick up the phone number initially in beta 1 was fidgety, having to sign out my apple ID on both iPad and iPhone then sign in iPad, then sign in iPhone, did that's couple times then it picked it up. Now works perfectly iMessaging from my iPhone & iPad to my friends :)