Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I have had the problem of the new iPad Pro 12.9 bending right in the middle.
Ive seen many threads with some having issues and some not.

I have been trying to figure out what happened to mine, it really received no force it has been treated as you should treat such an expensive device.

I think possibly there is a bad batch or, some slipped through quality checks.
Could it be related to not having a case on? does the case or folio offer more rigid support?
Just thinking maybe all those experiencing bending did not have a case on, all those that haven't had a case?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m curious, Did you have a case on it? Did you put it in your backpack without a case? I have had the 11” only for a short while, but I have experienced no bending of any kind. But I do use a hard backed case, as well as a soft sleeve to protect it. Not cause I am worried about it bending. More because I always seem to crack my iPad screens. But I travel a lot, and have been a klutz at times. Since this is the most I have ever spent on an iPad(1TB) before, I just want to make sure I am extra careful. Around the house I sometimes take it out of it’s case when I am chilling on the couch, but otherwise, the case is always on. I suggest anyone who spends this much do the same.

Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I’m curious, Did you have a case on it? Did you put it in your backpack without a case? I have had the 11” only for a short while, but I have experienced no bending of any kind. But I do use a hard backed case, as well as a soft sleeve to protect it. Not cause I am worried about it bending. More because I always seem to crack my iPad screens. But I travel a lot, and have been a klutz at times. Since this is the most I have ever spent on an iPad(1TB) before, I just want to make sure I am extra careful. Around the house I sometimes take it out of it’s case when I am chilling on the couch, but otherwise, the case is always on. I suggest anyone who spends this much do the same.

No mine does not leave the office, or hasn't yet. I keep it in a leather folio when not being used, soft interior and zips up. I store this on a high shelf in a cupboard away from my kids.

I use it without any cover at all though, this is what made me think perhaps those without a case may be those experiencing warp or bend issues.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
No mine does not leave the office, or hasn't yet. I keep it in a leather folio when not being used, soft interior and zips up. I store this on a high shelf in a cupboard away from my kids.

I use it without any cover at all though, this is what made me think perhaps those without a case may be those experiencing warp or bend issues.

Hey, it’s possible. You seem sincere. Is it a subtle bend or really noticeable? Is it something that could have been there from the factory when you first bought it and you just noticed it now? Or is it too big a bend to miss?
Do you have pics? I wonder if the 12.9” is more prone to slight bending being larger? I have experienced no issues with my 11”. Maybe you can return to Apple?

Last edited by a moderator:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you didn't exert any pressure to it, then it had to come out of the box this way. These iPad's aren't just going to bend without significant pressure. I would still bring it back to Apple to see, even though you are likely outside of the return window.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
After all the reply’s here and rethinking things through I decided it must have been bent from out of the box. I didn’t spend long or even think to check for that at the store. It then went home onto a stand and only came off to put it away, and then to apply a matte screen protector which is when I noticed it.

Apple wouldn’t do a thing instore but I called applecare and was shuffled around for a few days until I reached a fantastic support guy in Australia called Jack. He just sorted it, no mucking around he was fantastic.
Made appointment for the weekend to swap it over.

I will check the new one.

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Yea I’ve posted in other threads, sorry.
Here you are sir.

Attachments

• EFB79AF5-ABE7-4F3B-B252-818632005F2C.jpeg
    EFB79AF5-ABE7-4F3B-B252-818632005F2C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,645

samireye

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
My ipad has bent as well. Apple is blaming me even though it was in a case, within a bag, under normal wear and tear. I have apple care + and they are charging me the service fee.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015
My iPad isn't bent and I carry it around loose in a backpack. I applied a moderate amount of pressure and it didn't bend. I think only some of these new iPads are defective. Get AppleCare plus folks. these are not sturdy or durable devices.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Well you shouldn’t need a case to prevent it from bending to begin with.

Sounds to me that these iPad Pros are very fragile compared to their predecessors. I’d take it to Apple for an exchange if they were like that, bent iPads are defective, and they shouldn’t bend with regular use. Not even sticking it in your backpack with reasonable items in it should be enough to bend it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My iPad isn't bent and I carry it around loose in a backpack. I applied a moderate amount of pressure and it didn't bend. I think only some of these new iPads are defective. Get AppleCare plus folks. these are not sturdy or durable devices.

But that’s the thing, Apple isn’t calling these new iPads with the bend ‘defective’, they are saying it’s ‘normal’ within tolerance due to the manufacturing, thus they may not accept a return depending on the store/managers approval if the customer tries to return the iPad with the bend, assuming they are outside the 14 day return period.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Yea I’ve posted in other threads, sorry.
Here you are sir.

What Position are you holding it Mate ? Just wanted to make sure when I get mine I check in the same position that you have. So how is it ? is this in Portrait Mode ? where the Face Id Camera is on the Top, and the Power Button upwards ?

3cHorses

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
Apple's now confirming that some shipped bent. With one sitting under the tree I can't wait to see if we've gotten an extra special gift from my friends at Apple. Why they would expect this to be part and parcel of the manufacturing process is beyond me. So now it appears that not only are knock offs from China substandard but full on authentic products as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...end-pro-2018-shipping-manufacturing-confirmed

Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I unboxed mine yesterday; thankfully it was as flat as hell on inspection aside from the slight camera bump. I have since been using without a case, however it stays in my previous Vaja leather pouch + pencil loop when not in use.

In as much as I enjoy using it without protection, I have a case on order. Needless to say this Pad is a keeper & my 10.5 is jurassic

For a 1k device, mine will be cased & pouched. And if I ever feel like using it caseless, i’d use a clear silicon back cover

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.