My iPad better NOT ship today!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eff pc, Mar 11, 2011.

1. eff pc macrumors regular

I really hope my iPad doesn't ship today. I decided to chance it and get the Verizon version even though there are mixed reports of a $35 activation fee. Sales reps seem to have no clue, apparently execs have said there isn't. Rumors are the first time you activate there isn't one but after that there is. I keep getting told when it is released but it is already out!!! (online). Anyone hear anything about it from Verizon TODAY? I saw on their twitter less than two hours ago "No activation fee". If there is one I want to cancel my order with Apple and get the WiFi version (no AT&T in my area). That's why I don't want it to ship today.

http://twitter.com/#!/VerizonWireless

What do you all think?

2. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

3. tomandshell macrumors regular

4. Advil macrumors 6502a

If the execs say there isn't, I doubt they'd go back on their word.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

$35 on a device and data plan that will cost you MANY times that over the life of the device...really, OP?

6. eff pc thread starter macrumors regular

If you want to activate 3G occasional say for a vacation, ect. a $20 1GB plan turns into $55, I'm pretty sure you can agree with me on this one, that price is ridiculous.

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Are you actually under the assumption that this $35 fee would get charged each time you activate the service? Like if you did it every other month, in a year you'd get charged $35 x 6? Please tell me this is not what you believe...

8. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

cant fault that logic

9. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

really dude? It's been posted all over the web over the past couple of days, including shots from the VZW manual about no activation fees and what all that means.

Why would you even consider buying a device first, hoping there was no activation, after the fact? Do the homework up front.

Despite that silliness, ipads won't ship today. FACT.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are not going to charge you a $35 activation fee each month you use it.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Oh I agree the fee is ridiculous. That you already ordered and now are having second thoughts...hmmm.

On vacation one can often find WiFi. If not there is tethering to your phone. I have a first gen iPad 3G and have never activated data plan. As I always have a phone, after careful consideration before purchasing, all of my future iPads will be WiFi only.

12. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

i believe its a 35 fee every time u activate after 6 months of unuse

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The OP is not crazy. Yes, this is how the Xoom is. People are not sure if it's the same for iPad 2. If you don't have service for 3 or more months, there might be a re-activation fee. It has not been confirmed either way.