My iPad cannot get me exact using the inbuilt GPS.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nishi100, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I have a wifi + 3g GPS iPad.

I launch the Google Maps application and it attempts to get me but the "pointer" just moves around me never exactly getting me, so it might go in to my garden then to my house then back to the garden etc, but never stops and the light blue rings never disappear only gets smaller and larger

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you outside with a clear view of the sky and/or are you jailbroken?

3. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jailbroken - yes
    Clear Sky - yes
    Outside - Yes

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In Cydia download the "Fix Location Services" package.

5. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done that, however it still just moves around.

I remember when it wasn't jailbroken that it still didn't find me. (BTW: I'm on O2)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Did you restart your iPad after installing the Fix Location Services thing? One thing that I find that helps with getting a GPS lock is driving around with it. I know it isn't very great and all. But it'll help you test it out to make sure it's really working or not. If you do try this, don't be the driver.

7. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, I restarted it. I will be going for a walk tomorrow - I'll try it out then, but it doesn't get a lock on (the light blue circles surrounding it are still there) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ounpwdXLU] {1:18}

EDIT: Just been for a walk, it does follow me - after five mins. I walked up my street it followed but jumped from side to side and didn't keep up.

8. H4rdc0re macrumors newbie

My iPad can get an exact fix when I'm indoors. I thought that was pretty cool since my purpose built handheld GPS unit can't do that.

9. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tomorrow I am going to try ousted and see if the iPad connects there or not. If not then ill restore my ipad and see if it works; finally Ill ring Apple customer support, if they can't help me then I'll book an appointment.

One question: will they give me a brand new one or a refurbished if I ordered it online and it's still in the 14 days.

10. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bump - Don't want to make a new thread:)

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Try doing a restore and seeing if the problem is the jailbreak.

12. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Doing restore now - it's "contacting the ipad software server." I'll post back when it finishes.

EDIT: No still doesn't work

13. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

So, you don't know where you are;)? WOW, now thats directionally challenged.:D. Just kidding so don't go crazy.

14. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got a refund from Apple, it took about half an hour; however, I won't be buying another iPad until I come back from holiday, because I want the full 14 days, which I wouldn't get if I bought it now.

15. aohus macrumors 68000

it just could be you are in an area where acquiring signal from satellite is difficult. where do you live?

16. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I live in Leeds - England. But it's not just the place that I live as i tested one out in a PC World near my house and that managed to lock on in 20 seconds, mine didn't lock on at all.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My 3G GPS is killer. I have three large planters about 12 feet apart outside my garage. They can actually be seen in the satellite image when you zoom in. My iPad will show which of these planters I am standing in front of! That is accuracy to less than 10 feet!:eek:

No complaints from me!;)