Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The person at the front desk of where I live signed for it. So I believe my apartment is liable because it was under their responsibility until I sign and take possession from them. The manager is saying they provide a courtesy service to sign and hold our packages so he is not responsible. That is total BS...

Contact the property management company. I have had a huge list of issues with my apartment complex, most recently a stolen vehicle. No one seemed to care about our issues until I emailed everyone on their executive board. Repairs that I had been waiting on since April were done the next day and the regional director seems to be my new best friend. :)

Best of luck to you!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You might have a point! I'll look into it tomorrow :) thanks!

Is there any way you can get the courier to get you a copy of the signature of the individual?

Do you have a board at your building? I'd report the theft to them also. Other residents will be concerned that valuable packages are disappearing and will pressure this guy.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Thank you all for such great advice. This morning I called FedEx and filed the package stolen. I then called Apple to report it stolen, the woman on the phone said it would be investigated within 24 hours at which point a replacement will be mailed out. I called the apartment manager and asked for the Property management number, he said the guy at the front desk that signed for it is coming in at 3 and after he questions him he will call me back. I'm going to have to wait till later/tomorrow/weekend to file police report because I can't leave work. And since its a gift for GF who lives with me I can't raise any red flags after 5pm. I'm going to wait for the manager to get back to me, if I'm not satisfied with what he says (anything other than we found it) I will contact management company. I'm hopeful that Apple will send me out a replacement. If they don't I will at that point contact my bank about the theft. This is messed up, if Apple has to send out replacement they will certainly investigate the serial activation...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Actually, the sender is liable until you sign for it. Your first option is to take it up with the post office, but if they can't do anything about it then the sender is completely liable to refund you or offer a replacement. I live in Australia but I believe there is a similar law in the US.

The issue comes up a lot because a lot sellers, especially on ebay, think they can say "we aren't liable if it get's lost in the mail, if you choose not to buy insurance", without actually realising that the insurance is to protect the SELLER and not the buyer. Seller, in this case Apple, is liable until goods are delivered, insured or not.

Once the apartment or condo complex office accepts the package on your behalf, they are responsible until you actually pick up the package. If they weren't then why would they even have the so-called locked room for such packages. If they don't want to assume that liability then they should not be accepting the packages.

My apartment complex once accepted a package for me and when I went to get it it was missing. All I had to do was show the order paperwork and the FedEx tracking info. They then purchased a new item for me and had it delivered paying extra for the next day delivery. I had the replacement the next day

a few days later, after they investigated it further and found the original "lost" item they even got that to me. In the end I got two of the items ordered.

I actually think the shipping company would be liable. Yes, they may choose to leave it with the front office with a signature, but that is not your signature and unless you authorize them to sign....I would think ups/fedex would be liable. Most apple products make you sign the release authorization form right? Without that, I would think it would be on the shipping company

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Keep us updated, OP.

You'll most likely get reimbursed. But a crime was committed and the person who stole your package needs to be behind bars.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The person at the front desk of where I live signed for it. So I believe my apartment is liable because it was under their responsibility until I sign and take possession from them. The manager is saying they provide a courtesy service to sign and hold our packages so he is not responsible. That is total BS...

yes, they signed for it, but they signed for it on your behalf. they could be offering that as a service to tentants. doesn't mean they are legally liable though.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
yes, they signed for it, but they signed for it on your behalf. they could be offering that as a service to tentants. doesn't mean they are legally liable though.

That was the managers argument...talked to my attorney, that doesn't hold up legally. They sign, they are responsible, "service" or not.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I'm guessing the package was insured either by Apple or FedEx, in either case I will receive a replacement.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

Sounds like he stole it honestly. A normal response would have been to apologize profusely and help you find the object. By being rude for no reason, it seems like he has something to hide.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Good luck OP. I hope the person who stole the iPad pays for this crime.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Ordered an iPad for my GF for Christmas. Had it shipped to my condo (we have a 24hr person at front desk, tight security and its one of the nicest places to live in the city). Well it was shipped and signed for on the 26th...went to pick it up today and its missing from the locked package room. The manager said he will do his best to find it but its not their responsibility. He was VERY rude and seems completely unconcerned and almost put out over it. Said "I don't have some lost iPad fund where I can just give you $400". From what I understand legally they are responsible until I sign for it. Anyway looks like I'm out an iPad for Christmas, even if I get them to pay it will take weeks/months. AND apple is out of iPad 3s, so I'm even more up the creek.

My question is...is there anyway I can track the location of the iPad using the serial number? This really has me bummed out :(

How did anyone know you ordered an iPad?

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
How did anyone know you ordered an iPad?

Option A:
I can't speak for the OP, but both the UPS and FedEx delivery guys in my neighborhood are crazy good at recognizing return address. I can totally see the delivery guy making a casual/friendly "looks like someone got a new toy from Apple" comment while the package is being signed for.

Option B:
The OP told the front desk in his building, "I'm expecting a delivery from Apple within the next day or two. Please let me know the moment it comes through."

Option C:
The thief recognizes the return address on the box.

Option D:
The thief took it at random.

Option E:
It wasn't stolen. The manager is simply incompetent and misplaced it.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Another thing I realized this morning. When a package comes in and is signed for the person at the desk puts it in a locked room. At that point they stick a package notification on my actual mailbox. The iPad was delivered on the 26th around 2pm...my mailbox never had the notification sticker on it. which means the guy at front desk never wrote one out and put it on my mailbox. So that eliminates the possibility that it was stolen out of the room, or given to the wrong tenant by accident. My guess is it never made it to the room.

I told the manager this morning and he gave me a fake sounding "reeeaally...now that is interesting"...I don't know if its this guys personality or he is guilty as sin!

This is total BS that I have to do all this work just to get my iPad i paid for back!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
That's really sad that you have to go through all of this just to get your property. Like many have said, I wouldn't just let it go either. Did FedEx ever let you know who signed for it? The whole thing sounds shady. Apple or FedEx may replace it but I doubt the stolen one ever gets found.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I usually call my credit card company about these types of things. Let them sort it out.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Another thing I realized this morning. When a package comes in and is signed for the person at the desk puts it in a locked room. At that point they stick a package notification on my actual mailbox. The iPad was delivered on the 26th around 2pm...my mailbox never had the notification sticker on it. which means the guy at front desk never wrote one out and put it on my mailbox. So that eliminates the possibility that it was stolen out of the room, or given to the wrong tenant by accident. My guess is it never made it to the room.

I told the manager this morning and he gave me a fake sounding "reeeaally...now that is interesting"...I don't know if its this guys personality or he is guilty as sin!

This is total BS that I have to do all this work just to get my iPad i paid for back!

You should have immediately called the police to report the theft. Have you done that?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Have you not confronted the guy who signed for it yet?? I would wait all day if i had to to see him and ask why he didn't put out a sticker on the mailbox. i reckon he stole it. The manager sounds absolutely useless! I would be in a rage by now! One of my customers recently lost an expensive ring at my workplace and i did everything in my power as a manager to help her, and i found it, stolen by a now fired security guard. It's always the same, you have to do all the work as most workers don't seem to take responsibility for their actions. Take action, don't pussyfoot around, the longer you leave it, the less likely it is you will get a resolution. I have never ordered via post from Apple, does the signing document state the item is an iPad?

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
The FedEx website allows you to enter the tracking number and see the signature. It seems that the Manager has something to hide and it reminds me of the ABC story on the TSA employee that stole an iPad at the airport and lost his job. The ABC reporter knocked on his door, he denied having it and then the alert sounded when the reporter activated the alarm. It sounds like Apple will replace it but I'd still pursue the thief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.