My iPad gets charged very slowly!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by madmaclove, Nov 21, 2011.

1. madmaclove macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    My iPhone get full charged in an hour but it takes ages to charge my iPad2. Does anyone experience the same issue? Any suggestions, comments?:(

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Are you charging it over USB from your computer, using the same charger as your iPhone, or are you using the wall charger that came with the iPad itself? The iPad has always charged slower when connected via USB and when using an iPhone charger, as it generally sucks in more power than is being supplied.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Ohm's law is hard to overcome, even for Apple!

And i gotta ask... Are you using the 10w battery charger that the iPad came with to charge your iPad, and NOT an iPhone charger?
    And for comparison, it should take between 4 and 5 hours to charge an iPad from dead.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

you need to use the wall adapter that came with the iPad. It supplies 10W of power whilst the USB adaptor from the iPhone or the USB from a computer supplies on 2.5W. Looking at the numbers the wall adaptor should charge it 4x faster, and from my experience its around that.
    So you know, the iPad battery is like 3-4 times the size of the iPhone 4/4s (not the iPhones battery but the entire iPhone)

5. iLearnMac macrumors newbie

Just a curious question:
    - Not sure if the charging method highlighted in the quote is understood, what is actually being done?
    - I have charged my iPhone using the USB via PC, However seen that iPad NEVER charges that way - i.e. via a PC / Mac. Always required to connect to the 10W wall outlet Charger that came along with it.

Is there anyway charging via PC / Mac can be turned ON ?

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

well you can just plug in the iPad to your mac/pc like when you are syncing with iTunes and it will charge. just extremely slowly.

7. lars666 macrumors 6502a

My iPad also didn't charge on the USB port of my "old" (2008) MacBook Pro - at least it said "Not charging". However, it does on my new iMac. Mabye Apple "tuned" the USB voltage standard somehow with newer models? To make things even more mysterious, my iPad does charge on one of my iMac USB ports, but not on another. (No USB hubs or whatever, directly plugged into the iMac.)

Bottom line: Try all the ports. Mabye you're lucky. If not, I guess there just isn't coming enough juice out of your PC/Mac model USB ports ... However, I guess even if it says "Not charging", that it still is, at least when the display is turned out - but much slower ...

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's very odd, my iPad (1st gen) has always charged from my 2010 MBP and MBA just as an iPhone or iPod would - plug it in and it starts charging right away, never had to alter any settings for it to work. Though saying that, my 2008 iMac won't charge it. I think it must depend on the computers' capabilities.

9. number84 macrumors 6502

Apple upped the power coming from their newer usb ports. That's why you can charge the iPad on newer models.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Incorrect. Macs have updated ports to power the iPad. 2009/10/11 minis all charged my ipads

11. The-Pro macrumors 65816

well yeh to power the iPad maybe. Just at what speed is the other question. The USB ports definitely don't provide 10W, even the new ones don't.

And by the way I never wrote it doesn't work over the USB to mac/pc, I said its slower than with the 10W wall adapter. So what incorrect about what I said?

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Older USB ports will still charge the ipad when it is in "sleep mode". VERY slowly tho, but it does charge. I keep mine at work and charge it on my work PC occasionally.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected. This power is available under certain conditions:

As quoted from..

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4049

So yes your incorrect!

14. The-Pro, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

well a normal USB port provides 500mA at 5V correct? that is like 2.5W. so as according to what you wrote (quoted from apple, that link doesn't work btw) a USB port providing 1100mA ant 5V supplies 5.5 watts (I didn't know about that btw, thank you for posting it :) ) So 5.5W is still not 10W. That USB port would have to provide something like 2000-2200mA at 5V to achieve the 10W.
    So those ports will still charge the iPad slower than the 10W wall connector.
    found the article. Very interesting, good to know, cheers :)