My iPad has been taken over!

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alhajis, Oct 17, 2010.

1. alhajis macrumors member

My son thinks that the iPad is his... I can't use it any longer at home, cos as soon as he saw me using it, he will come over and try to take control over it. He is is just 2& half years old and he knows how to turn it on and find his fav apps. I bought some apps to learn letters & numbers but it seems that he only want games like real racing and my other games, I'll be very happy if he can learn on it when I feel like but the iPad is just for me and only me. Am I the only one in this situation? How can I get back my iPad to myself?[​IMG]

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Buy another one :)

Seriously, buy a 16gb wifi only version on eBay or craigslist for your son to use.

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Put a Password on it, or act like the man of the house and say "This is only for grown ups, you can have one when your older"

4. droga macrumors newbie

Oh, I feel ya!! My son is 2 yrs 2 months old, and he sees the iPad and instantly starts saying :" Keekee!!"( thats baby language for Mickey Mouse) because I have Air Video on the thing and he knows that he can stream Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes to the iPad... thing is that he has a PSP for this same purpose, but now he only wants the iPad. And not to mention Bejeweled or Angry Birds... the only problem that I have is that he keeps touching the screen (he used to push the Home button and leave the application that was running, but the Incarcerate App took care of that) and minimizes or pause the video all the time.. is there an App that will temporarily disable the touchscreen ( like the Incarcerate App, but for the touchscreen itself).

5. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Are you kidding? I'll only do that maybe when I file my tax return, but for now, I can't.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Good call. It's a harsh lesson, but as you've pointed out you bought the iPad for yourself - I'm not a parent myself but I know from my own experience, in the long run it's a lot better to learn you can't always get everything you want (which is why I was so opposed to a topic a couple weeks ago where the OP asked if they were bad parents for giving their 2 year old an iPhone and then complementing it with a 4th gen touch).

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

At this point I stopped reading.

Jesus H. Christ, man, if you can't be a parent and maintain control of your own property around a toddler, you have much bigger problems than can be solved in a web forum.

The kid is 2 1/2 years old. Man up, grow a pair, and move on. :rolleyes:

8. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

There is already a password on it! That's the first thing I did when I got it. But I'm using the same password that I'm using on my iPhone and the iPhone is a pice of cake for him... He can use it perfectly. I even let him use my old 3GS when I upgraded to iphone 4 but he seems to like the iPad. When I act like man of the house, then we can't get peace... Cos he'll cry & cry.... Cos you don't wanna be reading a mag and a baby is crying.

9. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

I'll get that app! Maybe it'll help.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

You're an adult. Change the password. You're really going to have a battle of the wits with a two-year old?

If he doesn't like it, put him in time out. Giving him a toy that isn't his is going to teach him that it's expected. Good luck getting your new BMW back when he's 16.

11. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Do you have kids? Or you're using your dad's iPad too? Cos if you don't have kids, you'll not know what I'm saying...

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have a 5-year-old - but unlike the situation at your place, he is not in charge here.

13. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Oh my God! Your five year old is in prison..... He can't even come near you! BAD DAD! Lol... I'll take your advice.

14. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Wow, that is quite the grammatical curiosity. The double negative is a nice touch :rolleyes:.

Seriously, buck up and listen to people on here with more sense then you, take some leadership and lay down the rules for your son, or else he's going to grow up with a gross sense of entitlement and someone in uniform is going to have to try and fix a lifetime of crappy parenting.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

this x1000.

16. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

My original intention was to ask you guys about an app that'll maybe disable the touch pad and he'll think it's not working, and I found it! not to put me to school on how to be a parent. It seem like there are some people here that are just waiting for someone to ask a question and then flame on them. Lol... I'll never ask a question again!

17. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That post in no way suggested that his 5-year old was unable to come near him. There's not even a hint of such statement in his post. His post simply called out a severe difference between his home and your home and that is in his home he rules the roost whereas in your home your 2-year old does.

Do you honestly believe that creating some sort of rules for your child hinders their ability to approach you? If that is the case then this perhaps stems back further than a simple iPad dilemma.

The link to the article doesn't quite correlate to your issue. The issue, the topic at hand rather, is not about whether or not your toddler should be able to use your iPad. I've allowed a couple of 4 & 5 year olds use mine and they've done quite well with it. One of them being the child of a man posting in this thread actually. Your issue is that you lack the basic skills that one would expect you to have as a parent.

When you come to a public forum and ask strangers how to wrangle your iPad back from your 2-year old you will likely get more posts that show a certain amount of concern for your parenting than any software solutions. My solution, as a non-parent, is similar to that of a parent. That is, parent the child and not the iPad. There is no need to do anything more than put a password on the iPad (good idea for any portable iDevice) and parent that child. Explain boundaries and respect to your child and he or she will be able to apply that to 90% of their life.

No one is implying that your toddler should be prohibited from using the iPad, the article you linked to suggests that is what is in our heads. What you need to find is an article on children being in charge of their parents and the lifelong repercussions of such behavior. Google that.

Since you have already discovered that you may not find a solution in the form of an application, perhaps you can take this offline and work out a solution with your 2-year old. See if he will be amicable to perhaps sharing the iPad that you purchased with his diaper money.

19. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Wow! I thought you're coming to save me from this hostile situation? He-he-he... I can use my iPad anytime I want to, what I was trying to say is, whenever I turn on the iPad, he will come over my shoulder trying to take control of it from me. Then it's my own decision to let him use it or not. My problem is I don't want him near me when I'm using it. Why do you think they made apps for kids? At first I was so happy seeing him counting, calling letters and all that. When I first brought the iPad at home and using it, he didn't even bothered me or try to play with it, it starts when I bought some kids apps and show him. Now he thinks the ipad is his, and wants to join me.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. skullnbones macrumors newbie

Aside from the use of certain abbreviations popular amongst the teenager "illiterati" such as "cos", (s)he hasn't used a double negative. "You'll not know" is perfectly correct English.

Aside from that, I agree. My 3 year-old demands the Wiggles "on Daddy's phone" and my 15 month-old goes nuts to see photos on the iPad. Both of them occasionally get what they want, but only if it's convenient for me and (in the case of the 3 year-old) the magic word "please" is used in its proper syntactical context. Both of them have an acute understanding of the word "no".

They are my children, not my best mates.

22. lapocompris macrumors regular

May I suggest to the OP to put some adult only contents in his iPad, his wife will instantaneously prevent his son from using it :D

23. alhajis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for pointing that out to him! maybe he needs a dictionary app. my son will ask for it and sometimes, i'll give him and if i need it at other times, I will not give him. and if i say no, thats no. what i was saying is... he is so attracted to it. And if i type "cos", it's because i'm on a phone and at least you'll know what i mean.

24. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

But what do you do when your five year old niece like your iPad and it is all she will ask Santa for?

25. seajay96 macrumors 6502

sounds like a problem for your brother/sister :)