iPad My iPad is repelling the Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Naramis, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Naramis macrumors member

I used my iPad Air with a Smart Cover normally, but then I went 2 weeks without it (using only a sleeve), and now something strange is happening..

The hinge of the smart cover attaches normally, but the tip gets repelled by the right edge of the iPad. It just floats over it and doesn't attach.

Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/pLEXCf4

The Smart cover rests normally on a flat surface, but when placed on the iPad the tip is repelled.. when flipping the cover to the back, nothing strange is going on.

I fear the magnet may have been dislocated or something.. my iPad is one of those that makes a clicking noise when closing the smart cover (there was a thread about this here), but so far it seemed like a benign problem

Is there something I can do to try to fix this? Is this something Apple would fix under warranty?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Definitely contact Apple, they should fix/replace under warranty.

3. rrm74001, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014

rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

SOunds like the magnets in the cover were installed wrong.

5. Naramis thread starter macrumors member

I think it's the magnet inside the iPad, not the cover (since I don't see how the magnet in the cover would have space to spin around, and it was working before). In don't have another cover to test but hopefully they do in the store.

Like many others, I experienced the clicking noise when closing the smart cover, and when folding it to the back. Like the magnet inside the iPad is loose and moves back and forth with the cover. One day maybe it moved wrong and got stuck in a weird position, causing the repelling issue.

I could try some magnet voodoo to move it back into position, but I'd rather take it to Apple and maybe see if I can get an iPad where the magnet isn't loose at all.

Thanks all for the answers, I'll let you know what happens.

6. Naramis thread starter macrumors member

Took it to Apple, the guy tested it with an iPad 4 smart cover (they didn't have any iPad Air smart covers). It didn't get repelled, and when he put on my smart cover again it attached just fine.

I guess it's just the magnet getting stuck in a weird position, and it can be repositioned using other magnets (even the one from the smart cover).

I still would have preferred getting an iPad where the magnet is not moving around, but they refused to exchange it after they got my smart cover working..

7. David Abrams macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have an iPad Pro that was purchased on launch day. It started exhibiting the same issues and I brought it to the Apple store where they tested three Smart Covers and three iPad Pros to find that ONLY mine repelled the smart cover. You can actually get it to click but the cover has to be about 1" out of alignment (sticking off), which leads them to believe something shifted. Sad thing, they said purchase a new one, and then return your old one since they can't replace without stock. So I am now waiting on stock to arrive to get a new one... Kind of bummed about the hassle.

Best,

David

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater