Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealNick

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
Hi,

I have an iPad 6th gen, running 15.2.

Yesterday evening it slowed to an absolute crawl. Everything seemed to be working just the frame rate was maybe around 5FPS. I tried restarting, the cold reset and deleted a several apps. It remained the same. In the end I reluctantly decided on a full reset of all content and settings because I had exhausted all other avenues. After I did this it seemed to solve the issue, however this morning it went back to the low FPS again. I’ve just done another full reset and now it seems fine again!

Interestingly my iPhone did this a couple of months back, EXACTLY the same issue.

I’m wondering if this could be caused by a specific app, perhaps that was on both devices?

Is there anything else that might cause the issue that I could avoid?

Many thanks for your help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
EXACTLY the same issue (?)
Is this an internet video/youtube, etc?
A game?
Some other form of video that is streaming (does not exist on your iPad, only streamed)
Which app is it?

If you are using Wifi to watch/play, did you try restarting your Wifi router?

TheRealNick

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
It’s just the Whole iPad slows to a crawl in terms of frame rate.

I’m starting to think it’s actually somehow being caused by another device on the network, I’ve been seeing those prompts from Google to prove it’s me with a captcha when I Google something.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm...
Home network?
School?
Work (?)
If you are on your own home network, you could connect to your router, which can show other devices that are connected...
and, while in your router settings, you could change your Wifi password, so other users can't connect without the correct password. If your situation is another device/devices, then changing your wifi password will take care of that little situation. (don't share your wifi network password from now on :cool: )

TheRealNick

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
It is a home network there are a bunch of devices on there, some of them there’s no easy way to tell what they are or if they belong to us hopefully they all do so I‘m going to change SSID and passkey just in case, thanks!

I’ve also got to consider it might be a genuine device of ours with some sort of malicious software so will add one by one and see if we can solve the problem that way, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.