iPad Pro My iPad Pro 9.7 Apple Smart Cover and Case Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by briankeith513, Apr 4, 2016.

1. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

I debated this for a short while, and I still ended up with Apple's case solution. I got the charcoal gray smart cover and case for my space gray iPad. First and foremost, I was very disappointed that Apple no longer offers the leather option, but only offers silicon, priced at $40 more for the full set, versus the previous one piece option. Second, they don't offer a black color, which is also disappointing. And lastly, the iPad is a LOT heavier with the smart cover and case combo. However, its a nice fit, feels, no complaints at all so far, besides what I've already mentioned.

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I got the charcoal gray Apple brand silicon back cover and the Apple Smart Keyboard. I'm super happy with both. I had heard people complaining that the silicon backs have had a history of attracting dust and pet hair, but I have not had that issue at all, even with 2 cats in my house. In fact, my silicon back cover doesn't even seem to pick up fingerprints.

I've had the keyboard for about 6 hours total, and I'm already very comfortable typing on it. I'm flying along just as fast as I do on my other keyboards. The keys feel very nice to me and I am very glad I went with this over the Logitech. A friend of mine has that one and says that he hates it due to the extra bulk and weight. I don't feel like the Apple solution adds much more to the iPad than a Smart Cover would.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a Pencil at the Apple Store. Looking forward to it.

3. macworksgreat, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016

macworksgreat macrumors member

macworksgreat

Did you also get the Smart Keyboard? The reason I ask I have the keyboard on back order (it won't arrive until the 15th or later) and have not ordered or bought a cover yet for my wife's new 9.7 Pro. Was wondering if I got what you now have will that be too much with the Smart Keyboard? Or perhaps just the back cover? Be gentle. Lol

EDIT: ok ok I ordered the silicon smart back cover. My wife wanted pink but I went half way and got purple. Hey I will use it too...lol

4. briankeith513 thread starter macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Haha, no I didn't get the smart keyboard. I'm going to try it out in the store, and decide later, down the line. But, you are supposed to do what your wife wants, and rock that pink cover lol.

5. PaulSpr macrumors member

How is the fit of your Smart Cover? Does it stick out over the screen a lot? Mine does and I'm afraid I have a faulty product. On all my previous iPads the Smart Covers aligned perfectly and couldn't really be moved over the screen.

6. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

At least mine it aligns with the back cover. It sticks out just a little so I can flip the cover open easily.

7. Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

Does the magnet on the cover still work well with the back cover?, I really like that the cover sticks itself to the back when you flip it.

8. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

Guys, can you stick a small magnet to pencil and fix it to the iPad?

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm finding that the Smart Keyboard sticks like glue to the back of the iPad, even with the silicon back cover on it. I love that it doesn't flop around when I have everything folded back.

10. JamesGoodman macrumors member

Have you tried Best Buy? Mine is arriving today.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I also recommend Best Buy. They had mine to me very quickly--way faster than Apple was promising.

12. briankeith513 thread starter macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Mine is a perfect fit, so I'm pleased in that regard.

13. macworksgreat macrumors member

macworksgreat

I looked on the site but did nothing. I should give them a try and see when it is promised. Thx

EDIT: I just checked online at BB and it said there are no stores that have it within 250 miles and there is now no shipping of it...sigh

14. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

See, that's the beauty of the two-piece case design. You get to choose one color for the case, and another color for the cover! Mix and Match!! :D
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---

Same experience on my Midnight Blue case and smart cover. The fit of those two pieces is extraordinary.

15. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I must agree. I'm jumping off the cliff and footing the $130.00 price tag.

16. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'll probably order also except from B&H. Now for the color issue. Kind of liking the Royal Blue.

17. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

The blue is nice but not as pictured online. Anyone else funding discrepancies in the colors?

Attached Files:

18. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Well that's certainly not what I would call Royal Blue but I still like it, maybe better.

19. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

The pink is much lighter too. I didn't think to take a picture of it before returning it. It's a lighter more fleshy pink rather than the soft bubblegum pink shown. Best to see them in person before buying is my recommendation.

20. briankeith513 thread starter macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Another thing I wanted to note is that this newer, more expensive, silicone case is also more slippery than the leather case that Apple offered prior, that was lighter, less expensive, and better grip.