Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Really just an inconvenience, just wondering if anybody else's IPP has this same issue (or ?habit?). If I have more than about 5 open screens in the background, be they ooen apps or screens I have viewed in Safari, my IPP will freeze up. It always resumes once I double click Home Button and swipe up to close all open pages. So nothing I have wanted to have Apple look at but I have never experienced this before, I have had the ipad 2, 4 and iPad Air 2. I never cleared their open screens at all so its easy to get irritated at my froze up IPP at times. So just wondering about yours, who knows, maybe others just consider closing every few open screens as regular maintenance!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
My iPad Pro has more than 40 apps open at the moment, and it runs beautifully.

It's possible that one of the apps you use frequently is the cause, rather than the iPad itself. It could be related to a particular web page, too. For example, a poorly-programmed page with active media content can definitely cause issues.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
My iPad Pro has more than 40 apps open at the moment, and it runs beautifully.

It's possible that one of the apps you use frequently is the cause, rather than the iPad itself. It could be related to a particular web page, too. For example, a poorly-programmed page with active media content can definitely cause issues.

Thank you for replying, so many other's have viewed but with none of them replying, maybe my IPP issue is more of a 'problem' than just an irritation. It is not worth my effort to try to find out if the cause is a specific App or a web page. But it does slightly increase my already strong desire to seriously consider a new IPP, 'When' Apple gets around to announcing them!

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Thank you for replying, so many other's have viewed but with none of them replying, maybe my IPP issue is more of a 'problem' than just an irritation. It is not worth my effort to try to find out if the cause is a specific App or a web page. But it does slightly increase my already strong desire to seriously consider a new IPP, 'When' Apple gets around to announcing them!
Chances are the same problem would happen. The iPad pro is a beast and if you're having freezing issues theres definitely a "rogue app" thats causing it. But also could be a web page. I've had that happen before. Try installing an ad blocker.

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I've never experienced this on my 128GB 12.9 iPad Pro. Which iPad Pro do you have?

Ipad Pro 9.7"
[doublepost=1494267795][/doublepost]
Chances are the same problem would happen. The iPad pro is a beast and if you're having freezing issues theres definitely a "rogue app" thats causing it. But also could be a web page. I've had that happen before. Try installing an ad blocker.
I've never thought about getting an ad blocker before. Like I said, my freezing problem goes away when I dbl click home button and swipe up to close all open pages. But I'm willing to try. Are there any ad blocker apps on the ipad App Store that you recommend?

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Ipad Pro 9.7"
I've never thought about getting an ad blocker before. Like I said, my freezing problem goes away when I dbl click home button and swipe up to close all open pages. But I'm willing to try. Are there any ad blocker apps on the ipad App Store that you recommend?
It's simple to determine which app is the culprit: instead of swiping them all, do one at a time and then check if the iPad has returned to normal. Make sure you allow a few secs after closing each app.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Documents Will freeze sometimes, but nothing like you describe. Neither on the 9.7 nor the 12.9. And I have dozens of apps open, use them all day, every day.
[doublepost=1494274897][/doublepost]
Make sure you allow a few secs after closing each app.
Allow 5 seconds for each app.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Ipad Pro 9.7

Probably a low memory condition that's causing it since the iPP 9.7" only has 2GB vs 4GB on the 12.9". It's not a CPU utilization issue since iOS apps get suspended in the background. Set your screen time out high then next time it happens wait after 3 minutes for iOS to clear background apps from memory then see if it clears up. If you bought it recently exchange it for the 12.9" or return and wait for improved 2017 9.7" with 4GB.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ipad Pro 9.7"
Try 1Blocker.
Block ads, trackers & more with 1Blocker by Salavat Khanov
https://appsto.re/us/Qh2i9.i

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Try 1Blocker.
Block ads, trackers & more with 1Blocker by Salavat Khanov
https://appsto.re/us/Qh2i9.i
Just installed the 1Blocker app so I'm hoping it works! Glad I asked tho. I have had this IPP 9.7" about 6 months now and just thought it was just an unlucky quirk that it had rather than a real problem. I am about 100 miles from the nearest Apple Store so taking it in was never something appealing. Thank you for the suggestion

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Probably a low memory condition that's causing it since the iPP 9.7" only has 2GB vs 4GB on the 12.9". It's not a CPU utilization issue since iOS apps get suspended in the background. Set your screen time out high then next time it happens wait after 3 minutes for iOS to clear background apps from memory then see if it clears up. If you bought it recently exchange it for the 12.9" or return and wait for improved 2017 9.7" with 4GB.
9.7 pro has three iirc

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't listen to the people talking about 2GB of RAM being the problem. I have an iPad Air 2 and use it with a lot of apps like Lightroom Mobile that use quite a bit of resources and don't have this problem. It could be an app. Have you tried loading up a set of apps until it crashes, and then loading up a subsequent set of completely different apps until it crashes? This would eliminate common threads. I'll also say the obvious: reboot. Next, I've been told by genius bar employees that "Reset all Settings" fixes most issues. Sometimes just doing the "Reset Network Settings" can clear things, so maybe try that first, then all settings. Note: Don't select "Erase All Content and Settings" as that will erase your phone. Resetting the settings means you just have to setup your preferences, accounts, WiFi, etc again. The supposed reason it works is that it removes corrupted preferences files that cause errors. If that doesn't work there's always erase everything, but that's a huge pain. If you live close to an Apple Store, have them test it. One of the RAM modules might be bad or have some kind of defect. I had something similar happen with my work iMac where if I was doing a lot of multitasking, it would lose it's crap. Turns out one of the two 8GB RAM modules was on the fritz. Unfortunately you can't easily replace that on the iPad like you can on the 27" iMac.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Just to be clear, the IPP does not just crash while I have something open and I'm viewing it. I tap the Home Button to try to go to an already open app or to open another app, it's the Home Button that is freezing, totally unresponsive. I have cleaned it as I have read how, doesn,t help and this started within the first month of owning this ipp so it shouldn't have been dirty. And it is always fixed by dbl tapping Home (thankfully not freezing on the dbl tap) and a swipe up of open pages. I also know what Erase All Settings does, I have done that every time I have gifted my older ipads. And I had an Air 2 and used it with the same viewing habits and never closed anything. Course it had that darn screen rotation issue.
Come on Apple, release an updated IPP, I dont care what size, I'm interested. Just NOT getting that 'new ipad'.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Since it's a recurring issue since you bought it try taking it to the Apple store. If they can't resolve it perhaps they'll let you upgrade to the 12.9". Worst case contact Tim Cook's executive support and mention you prefer to resolve it than filing a BBB complaint.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Since it's a recurring issue since you bought it try taking it to the Apple store. If they can't resolve it perhaps they'll let you upgrade to the 12.9". Worst case contact Tim Cook's executive support and mention you prefer to resolve it than filing a BBB complaint.
Look at my above post where it says I am a hundred miles from an Apple Store. I reserve those visits for times when one of my devices wont do something that is important to me and I can find no remedy myself. So far that has never happened.
This is not a big issue to me, I just thought I would ask to see if this was a known issue for the ipp 9.7" (obviously not) and if others had found a fix that I didnt know about.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
If you Google search for "iPad Pro freezes" on Google you're not the only one and most are related to the 9.7". There doesn't seem to be a long term fix so either live with it or replace it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7874063?start=0&tstart=0
Well, as I have said, I am living with it and plan to replace it, if Apple announces an ipad pro that has better specs! But after advice on here, I have set my screen to time out at 15 minutes and have downloaded 1Blocker. I'm going on two days now and have umpteen pages open with no Home Button freeze.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No problem on mine and i rarely close any apps. I do use an adblocker though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.