Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
I have been waiting to see what Amazon would do with their tablet, and I am glad I did. I almost bought the discounted TouchPad. Thank goodness I did not.

We have many Apple products, but I still have need for sites which will not run on the iPad (cough..flash...).

At $200, the Fire is what my iPad has been waiting for. Also, Amazon Prime movies do not play on the iPad. I dumped Netflix last month, and I have started using Prime and Redbox. They still have a ways to go (especially Prime), but Netflix is going to see some competition in the next two years from Amazon.

Now...my iPad will never be alone. It found a friend in Fire.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I also pre-ordered a Kindle Fire to accompany my iPad 1st gen.

It looks like a great device. I have been a long time Amazon Prime member and use Amazon daily so the tablet is a perfect fit.

I cannot wait to try it out. :)

$200 is a fantastic price point too. Made it a no brainer for me.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Nice to know that iPads need friends. My guess though is that whomever ends up playing with the Fire will be jealous of the one playing with the iPad. Just a theory. :)

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I got one of the firesale TouchPads. I am currently trying to sell it and have put in a preorder for the Fire. I think the 7" Fire will complement the 9.7" iPad 1 nicely. And the best part is, the TouchPad is partially subsidizing the Fire (yay for supply vs. demand) :D

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I was genuinely thinking about getting the fire. It is amazing value for what it does, but in the end with the iPad I couldn't see where I would use it. I do think that I will be getting one of the new kindles though.

StoneSoup

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
buying a kindle just for flash purposes seems sort of a waste. with or without amazon movies. even if i was super rich, i wouldn't get the kindle fire because i'd rather just have one of everything (Desktop, Laptop, Tablet), not two of one thing.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I agree it is a nice device but why would you want another device when it can do what the iPad can do? Sure flash is there but eh...

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I agree it is a nice device but why would you want another device when it can do what the iPad can do? Sure flash is there but eh...

This was sorta my line of thinking. I'd highly considered getting one to try it out, but was afraid that it would be like having two of the same thing and I'd like the iPad better and would have wasted my money.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
why not two systems

I have Win7 computers and iMac computers.

$200 for another system is nothing. A cheap lunch for a family of four costs $35-50. A dinner for two at a decent restaurant is $100. A dinner with good wine at a fine restaurant is minimum $300.

Most of my time spent on the iPad is cruising the internet. I have the iPad 1 and it is moderately faster than those horrible netbooks. I bet the Fire will be much better at surfing the net than the iPad 1. Maybe the future iPad 3 will be much better than my current iPad 1.

When I want to do internet related work or some serious net surfing, the desktops or laptops are much better.

An important website for my job/profession uses flash. They are not going to change anytime soon. Getting a Fire for that site is worth $200.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I'm a huge Amazon customer. I've pre-ordered a Fire and the newest Kindle. Having had every Kindle thus far, I'm really impressed with how superior it is for reading. The savings is amazing and the devices pay for themselves.

The basic reason I have iPads is just for fun. Nothing serious as they lack flash. Yet that's neither a surprise or a problem. With Apple one learns quickly it's all about Apples needs first. Translation: they love to dictate as they take our money. Nothing new :)

Elyquin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
@Maschil

I haven't found much serious use for my iPad 1's. I have two of them because I have 2 kids, and the iPads are a great travel gear. The DSi's, the iPads, the DVD players keep my 2 kids entertained so well that travel is no longer a pain. We can drive for 4 - 6 hours at a stretch now.

There are some great navigation apps. We rented a boat, and the night before I downloaded some navigational apps to my 3G iPad. Using the app along with paper navigational charts was so cool. Also, the basic included Maps app is my back up to my TomTom. When TomTom doesn't know were something is, we can use my 3G iPad.

There are a few educational apps for my 6 and 8 year old. Not many are engaging enough to stand alone. In other words, I have to sit next to them and make them do it, rather than being so engaging that they want to do it. One great program for kids is Stack the States.

I also have used the iPad as a photo backup when I didn't want to bring my laptop. I bought the adapter to allow me to load the photos into the iPad. Thus, 2 copies of trip pictures. One copy in the camera card and one copy in the iPad. There is a great iPad photo editing program called Snapseed, but for real photo editing I use LightRoom on my computers.

I have Pages and I keep trying to use it.

Still no "can't live without" program is on the iPad.

If the Kindle Fire is any good at all, then Apple will have some major competition. The Fire will be very attractive to people who do not have a major investment in the Apple ecosystem.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I have been waiting to see what Amazon would do with their tablet, and I am glad I did. I almost bought the discounted TouchPad. Thank goodness I did not.

We have many Apple products, but I still have need for sites which will not run on the iPad (cough..flash...)..

cough, ever tried Photon Web Browser, cough? Best browser out there for watching Flash on the iPad. might want to check it out. :D

----------

I'm a huge Amazon customer. I've pre-ordered a Fire and the newest Kindle. Having had every Kindle thus far, I'm really impressed with how superior it is for reading. The savings is amazing and the devices pay for themselves.

The basic reason I have iPads is just for fun. Nothing serious as they lack flash. Yet that's neither a surprise or a problem. With Apple one learns quickly it's all about Apples needs first. Translation: they love to dictate as they take our money. Nothing new :)

You are the demographic that I see buying the Fire and actually using it specifically for it's capabilities in the 'Amazon ecosystem'. Other buyers may not like what they get though, assuming it will be like an iPad or full android based tablet.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
cough, ever tried Photon Web Browser, cough? Best browser out there for watching Flash on the iPad. might want to check it out. :D

if it's anything like swifter or puffin then it's not a perfect solution due to latency, lag and FFA drags issues. Something that drives flash natively is better.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Owning two of the same devices and actually buying the one that does less after already having the one that does more just makes no sense at all, unless the ecosystem of the one which does less caters to your need for that ecosystem. $200 is much cheaper but it becomes a waste of good money when you already own an iPad. I don't care how much money you spend on necessities. Common sense is common sense. Now if buying the cheaper fire means there's another tablet in the house for your family to share which will lessen the fights over tablet use is the reason you are actually buying, then just say that. That makes plenty of sense.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
An important website for my job/profession uses flash. They are not going to change anytime soon. Getting a Fire for that site is worth $200.

That was all that was needed... what you do with your money is your business. IMO, for most the fire or any other tablet isn't worth even $1 if you already own something that can do the exact same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.