My iPad with 4G Lte "Data Usage" Seems Unexpectedly High !

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scottyee, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Scottyee macrumors regular

I purchased the new iPad with 4G lte (verizon) and on the $20/month for 1 Gb (1024 mg) data plan.

I'm really enjoying it a lot, but in two days I've already used up 80 Mg of data even though the majority of the time I'm showing as connected to Wifi (as evidenced by the wifi semi-circle type signal strenth icon appearing in the upper left corner of screen). When I'm out of range of my connected Wifi signal, the Verizon "lte" icon replaces the Wifi "semi circle" signal strength indicators, with bars displaying the 4G lte signal strength (typically 4-5 bars). Is it typical with seemingly light usage (<1.5hours in 2 days) simply browsing this forum and other similar websites and forums and without downloading streaming vids or music, to use this amount of data?

Also, does using the iPad TomTom GPS Navigator app (with optional traffic disabled) use up data? Should the iPad's cellular data feature be manually turned off when running TomTom GPS navigation?

What web browsing activities and/or specific apps running (or running in the background) might be causing unexpected data usage increases?

Is there a recommended 4g lte data usage app available from the iTunes App store to track and manage iPad usage?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Scott

2. Hosei macrumors member

I think the best thing for you to do is to turn off LTE when you are in wifi area (home for example)

And also, the settings>general>usage is the best way to keep track of how much data you have used.

3. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

Yes the is normal

If you're not on wifi, then you're on cellular and using data.

Make sure your apps are not using cellular data in the background b going through your settings

4. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Unless you have an unlimited data LTE for your phone that you can swap out your sim card. But it is a pain.

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I would leave it in airplane mode with wifi on until you need to use the LTE.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Or just turn cellular data off which turns the radios off as well....

7. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

I was examining the usage whilst on LTE when sitting at the pool, and I concluded this:

Loading a forum page, for example, a thread on MacRumors, bumps the data up by about .1MB. Other pages, for example, the 9to5 Mac homepage, can be as much as 10-20MB simply loading the graphic intensive page itself. Playing a video on YouTube can eat up 20-30MB in about a minute.

8. socaltyger macrumors newbie

Look under the iCloud > documents and data > use cellular option as well. I keep that off.

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I turned off my cellular data as well. Am on the $20/1 GB plan. In 24 hours, used 49 MB. Which would be about 1.5 GB/mo. Can't understand it. The only time I was on LTE is when I shut wifi to run a speedtest. So now I have cellular data off until I actually need it.

----------

Also - good tip about the iCloud documents and data. I didn't even realize that setting was there.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

How do you check? I can't seem to figure it out.

----------

just did that... we need Onavo for iPad Verizon!

----------

I don't know how accurate this is... because I already had 1 mb used before I even activated my Verizon account. Is there a Verizon app that can check pre-pay data?

11. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that speed tests uses quite a bit of data.

Without such tests, automatic email retrieving set to manual, no video streaming, I barely broke the 200MB per month.