My iPhone 3G drops calls every 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invisible777, Oct 9, 2008.

1. invisible777 macrumors member

I got fed up today with my iPhone 3G dropping calls every 2 minutes. I finally got pass the whole "it's so cool" factor and realized it needs to actually function as a PHONE too.

So, I strolled into AT&T. They told me its a hardware problem. They told me to visit my local Apple store and they will most likely switch it out with a new phone. Mind you, I did buy this phone on launch day. It was in the first batch of production phones.

I called my Apple store. They told me they will switch it with a "brand new, just manufactured" phone and to simply back up my old phone before I come in.

Is it really going to be that simple? Apple will really just switch it with a brand new phone tomorrow when I go? I'll walk out with a new phone? Won't have to wait 30 days? Pay a $100 fee?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You will be in and out in a matter of minutes (depending on busy the store is that day). It may be wise to schedule an appointment on apple.com.

If they are out of phones that day, they'll take your info and call you when one comes in.

Done and done.

3. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, cool thanks.

From your experience or anyone else - will it indeed be a brand new phone I get or a refurb?

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well, therein lies the rub.

I have a "white box" phone (what you will most certainly be getting too), and it's hard to tell if it's a refurb or not. It looks perfectly brand new, behaved like a perfectly new phone and it's [mostly] perfectly defect-free.

If you're not OCD about it, you'll be happy - and if you're not, take 'er back.

FWIW, I switched my phone literally like 3 days after launch, and it still came in a white box - so I'm not convinced they're all automatically refurbs.

5. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Ok.

So then I guess I don't need to pack up my headphones and original accessories -- I'll just be getting the phone?

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah, exactly.

When I've gone to do this, they've been super informal about it. They'll just pop out your SIM, pop it in the new iPhone and hand it over to you. Just like that.

Go home, activate/restore and enjoy your new iPhone :)

7. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

Update:

Got my brand new whitebox iPhone 3G.

Updated the software, then restored to my backup.

So far I've dropped 3 phone calls in about 20 minutes of talk time on the 'new' iPhone.

Not looking good... any ideas?

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Chances are it's not hardware, and you have a network problem. Or, you're just really unlucky.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yup. I second this.

EDIT: Also, just for fun, restore fresh - not from a backup - and try again.